After about 4 month of effort I managed to finish the quilt for my fiance in time for Christmas. I was happy to have it done, especially since it is my first fully complete quilt. All that sneaking around was tiring.
Here's the end result: If you want the long story of the ups and downs of this quilt read on after the first two pictures!
I started with these fabrics:
Then I cut loads of squares:
I did a lot of searching for a neat simple quilt pattern. I ended up using a revised nine-patch quilt style that I discovered on etsy (not my store). http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28165923
I'd been hoping to do some robot applique. However, at the end of October my sewing machine broke. I tried my hand at some hand applique but it really didn't work.
So I scratched my plan for applique and just did the repeated blocks.
I got my quilt fixed and put the whole thing together. Then realized my sewing machine is so old I'm not sure I can find a walking foot. I have a Singer 734 which is older than I am. So I decided I'd just tie the quilt instead. I used extra fabric that was intended for the applique robots to make a colorful back. My mom came into town and she helped me tie the quilt and make the binding and sew it on. We stayed up until 3am the night before we had to go wedding dress shopping. I was exhausted!
The end result was a very happy guy!
More pictures, and larger versions of these can be found on my Flickr page in the crafts section: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48969942@N00/sets/72157623070375010/