Crimsonjade- I know you already purchased the castin craft, and I haven't used it yet, but I have used the easy cast, and if you have the money I would suggest buying that to start out with. You could always use the other stuff after you have some more experience. I know that I have casted some really thin things with it, and also just coated things with it. It works really well for that even though the bottle says casting epoxy. Anyhow, it is one to one mixture, so it is pretty hard to mess up if you are using measuring cups. Also like it has been said, it isn't as toxic or smelly. But the main thing is how easy it is to mix. I found a ton of good molds on the Alpine Import website. I also bought the latex to make my own, so maybe that is a good way to go, although I haven't used it yet myself.
I did end up buying a mold release, easy cast says that you need it, although I used it plenty of times without using one, and when they are really done curing they pop out no problem at all. The first time I tried to use pam, and when the resin creates the heat I guess, it puddled up on the bottom of my mold and "pitted" the surface when it was finished. So if you are going to go that route, try just one piece at a time so you wouldn't ruin many if that also happens to you.
Also with the easy cast, I have mixed up a cup before and had plenty of time to mix, let the bubbles settle out, mix in color, let bubbles settle again and pour 3 trays of small molds and it never set up on me. It did get thicker, however not hard to work with at all. So I think you can make plenty at a time. But like Diane B. said, start with one of each type of cast ( like color, adding a picture, magazine cut-out, or whatever you are going to embed) to test out how it works and any potential problems. I purchased all the dyes and pigments for the resin so my first attempt at resin was with like 16 paint molds where I poured resin, added a drop of color and mixed each one seperately. Well I found out that if you don't mix the color really well, it will not dry. So when I popped them out of the molds, I got the dye and pigment everywhere!
Also, I had my mom get me some of those plastic syringes from the medical supply store, and I sucked up the resin and "squirted" them into each small mold without making a mess. You have to clean them very well afterward ( while they are still wet) I use regular rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to remove the most and then wipe again, finish with plain paper towel. I found that is the best way to remove the resin. Just don't add water! That makes it turn milky and even stickier!
titancia- you can use any of those, but you should test each one. Almost for sure I can say that regular paper will become tranclucent, so you need to seal that. But you might need to seal the photopaper also. I don't know about regular photos, I don't think they would have any problem at first, but sometimes the resin can cause the inks to bleed. I bought a regular spray sealer and that works really well, but like Diane said in the post above, you can use white glue also.
Ok, I know I ramble, but hopefully that contained some relevent information! ok bye. lol