Modifications: Not being a fan of mohair, and because I'm working from my stash, I used Red Heart Symphony (only 1 skein!)
The stitch gauge was correct, but my row gauge was tighter, so I made several more dc rows in the yoke, then a few more of lace rows, also to make it longer than the pile of flesh. Instead of attaching the ties directly to the collar, I just crocheted a long chain and weaved it through the dc stitches at the base. Though I added another row on the collar, it still seems skimpy, so I will add a few more.
Though I completed this in gurgle gurgle drool, I'm still pondering over pom-poms or beads on the ties. That's why I didn't post it sooner, and why I'm covering those unfinished ends.
Since the yarn was so light, I worried about the drape, so with the help of Lily Chin's Knit and Crochet with Beads, I ventured into my first experience with bead crochet.
I am double posting here, because this info might be helpful to roving dyers as well....
After many frustrations with hot pink pots, spoons, wash water, and eventually fading pink yarn, I finally figured out how to dye with that tricky red #3 - a beautiful bright watermelon pink that also makes the violet lovely as well.
It's all because red #3 dyes at a lower acidity than the rest of the colors, so here's how I did it....
I added a washed & soaked skein of Paton's Classic Merino to a 4 qt. pot filled with 3 qts. of cool water w/ 1 tsp of Wilton's violet (red #3 & blue #1) dissolved in it. Hint: Wilton dissolves faster in a little hot water, then add to the dyepot.
I started with 2 tbsp of vinegar, and heated to almost boiling, then turned it down to the lowest temp, just below simmer. I let that sit for about 30 minutes, then the water turned blue as the red absorbed, but the blue didn't. Then every 20 minutes or so, I added 2 more tbsp of vinegar, until I was up to 10 tbsp, when the water finally turned clear as the blue completely absorbed.
I let the whole thing cool overnight in the pot - I hear that makes the dye set better. I washed and rinsed the whole thing the next morning, and though the yarn was slightly varigated with different hues of purple, not a speck of pink residue was left behind.
I received this wonderful package over a month ago from bluelise:
Apron, an apron pile of flesh, embroidered napkins, recipe booklet, a hot pad, and a cute little card of a knitting zombie chicken. Her beautiful handiwork matches my kitchen perfectly. I eat it all! Thank you!!!!
I teach crafts and creative design at a summer camp. I'm helping to produce the next generation of future craftsters. Anyway, one of our projects is m&p soapmaking. I noticed there was a lot of waste left in the mixing cups, and I hate to throw away anything useable, so I had them chop up the scraps, spread them in an oiled jellyroll pan, then poured what was left in the melting pot over it. It turned out to be our favorite, and they call it Community Soap.
Sorry for the delay ladies. I've been working 3 jobs this month - 1 full, 2 part, and haven't been able to make it to the PO. Got some time off tomorrow, so I've packed a little sumpin' extra to make up for my lateness. Thanks for all your bracelt. My daughter LOVES them!
Just wanted to post what I got so far. Lookie at the name bracelet sent by jp197012! I had no idea you could do that with knots. Whiskey sent the cute black and pink one. Hope you're not disappointed by my simple stripes. Sorry I'm sending out so late, but I haven't made these in years and it's taking me a lot longer than anticipated. Thanks again!!!
With whole wheat batter, I poured little dots for the eyes & nose first, let them cook for like 30 seconds, then poured the face, head, then ears. For the bone, I poured 4 little joint dots, then a strip in the middle.
This was an easy project, and now all it needs are some crochet flowers. I used Peaches & Cream cotton instead, as it's nearly identical to Lion Cotton.
I found plastic bamboo handles on Ebay that look almost like the real thing, so it's totally washable. I have 3 more pairs, so that means 3 more Fat Bottoms!
I made a minor adjustment, er, mistake. I skimmed the pile of flesh so quickly that I didn't notice the first "h" for "heringbone" until I was nearly done, so the entire bag is just "hdc" (half-double crochet), and then "hhdc" on the handle flaps. Though she's a close twin, and probably easier & faster to hook, I'm making another one properly, in something colorful.