Yes, I am extremely late getting this done. But done it now is, hurrah! I loved the pattern by oh fransson found here http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=863
but wanted to do my own thing. I also didn't want to have to buy 12 new xmas fabrics. So I dug through my stash and found as many coordinating fabrics in xmas-y colors as I could, cutting them into 4.5 inch squares as I went. That wasn't enough. So I dug through again, and cut more squares. Still not quite enough. This went on for what felt like weeks and actually took...well, weeks. The sewing of the thing was easy in comparison. I didn't follow the pattern exactly, what with it being already DECEMBER and all, but I really like the end result. So, pictures!
Thar she blows. I quilted it with a decorative stitch on my machine, in a simple grid, because, again, DECEMBER.
I bound it in some white bias tape I had lying around, and the amount of tape I had fit exactly around. In fact, I thought it would be about 1/2 an inch short, but I stitched it together and hoped for the best. Thankfully, bias tape has enough stretch that it fit perfectly! Woohoo! Love that crafting mojo. When it works.
Here's a shot to show how I just stitched over the binding with the same deco stitch in red, so I wouldn't have to hand stitch the back. I think it looks really great, and adds some color to the edge.
One more for the road:
Well, thanks for looking! Happy Holidays!