We got this beat up kitchen table from some friends, and I've been hating the fabric covering them for over a year. Today, I bought some new fabric, some new batting, and fired up the staple gun. From start to finish, this project took about 1.5 hours. Now I feel dumb for having hated these chairs for so long...
First, I removed the seats (which popped right out) and used a hammer to pull out the nails. Then I took off the nasty fabric and the even nastier foam and promptly threw them in the garbage.
I didn't exactly measure, but laid the now bare chair seat on fabric and new foam, cutting the foam to match the surface of the seat exactly, and the fabric a little bigger, since I would be stapling it to the bottom of the chair seat.
Staple, staple, staple, lay the seat back in the chair, and voila! Newly reupholstered chair cushions, and no more hating to sit in my kitchen!