Here are some "nearly" round record bowls. I think I left them in the oven a little too long?? (5 mins) but maybe the bowl I used had something to do with it 'cause when I got it out of the oven and shaped it around the bowl with a cloth, and had cooled a little, I couldn't get the darn thing off the bowl. I then stuck it in the freezer for 5 mins and the sucker popped right off!!!! And, yeah, duh I put the bowl label upside down when I took the pic
The bowl I used as a mold was a stainless steel one - it's one of those ones that come in a nest of about 4 or 5 ranging in sizes.
Also, after seeing this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=44086.0
by cydniey on a record journal, I just had
to try it. So, here's my spin on it. I used rings that I bought from the newsagent - they're kinda like metal curtain rings and they come in all different sizes (these ones are probably too big but it's all I had lying around). All I did to cut it was to cut a template from cardboard and then using a metal ruler (on top of the cardboard) cut it with a stanley knife (that's what we call them in Australia). I think in the US they're called an Exacto knife??? Anyway, its no fancy knife, just one a builder would use - 'cause they're cheap. I didn't cut right through, just ran it down the ruler 4 or 5 times. I then turned the record over (with the cut side down), holding the outside edge with fingers, place both thumbs approximately where the knife score is and snap it. It will give you a nice clean line. Once it's cut, surprisingly, the edges were quite smooth and straight. The front cover was done with a thinner record and the back cover was done with a thick record. Both turned out the same. The only difference was that the thicker one makes a louder noise when snapped - I terrified my two boys 6 and 4. They just looked at me with horror when I snapped the first snap!!! I would recommend eye protection and perhaps gloves but I like to live my craft life on the edge sometimes - BTW I did turn my head to protect my eyes!!!!
As for the holes, I used a soldering iron at first and just melted them but they weren't big enough for the rings so I got out my trusty drill and just drilled holes. Again, the drilled holes look clean and neat - unlike me really......
Now..... off to make the pages.......