I recently started making oven mitts and then my hubby decided we should have a pair that looked like winter mittens - they would not be usable on either hand, they would be specific for your right or left hand. I said I would try if he made me a pattern. He found a pair of mittens large enough for each of us to wear and set out to make a pattern. Once he had the basics done, it was up to me to lengthen them so they came farther up my arm, which I figured would be easy. I was wrong - that turned out to be the hardest part! The top of this oven mitten is one piece but the bottom consists of two pieces, with the thumb area inset into the rest of the bottom.
I made a trial pair out of scraps and just a single layer, did a bunch of tweaking (at least 3 different patterns for the bottom sections) and finally got to where I thought it would work. I then started with good fabric and all the proper heat proof batting. Oops, I discovered an error when I went to sew top and bottom together - I had made a right handed top and a left handed bottom. Back to my pattern to figure out what was wrong and discovered I needed to lay the bottom pieces on the fabric opposite of what I was doing. Second attempt at the bottom worked and I finally had one mitten made. I don't think I'll get the other one done before Christmas as I still want to make some regular oven mitts for gifts.
So, after much trial and error, I present our OVEN MITTEN !!
An action shot