I made this apron for my friend in two nights. I used an apron of mine to get the basic size and rough shape and improvised like mad. Then I bullied (okay, so I actually said "I think you should decorate the teatowel" and he said "okay") my partner into decorating the teatowel to match - it was his first sewing project (other than hemming a curtain, one time).
I used calico as backing to make the red parts stiffer, and the strawberry applique has stabiliser on the back, and the green bit is hand-embroidered chainstitch.
The main inspiration was the fabulous red colour - nice and cheerful, since it's been a wet and miserable winter here in Australia, and my poor friend's not been having fun lately - and the awesome strawberry print quilter's cotton. I'm terribly addicted to quilter's cottons, even though I don't quilt.
The prints are just so awesome (if expensive - except when Spotlight has sales!