I've been working on a log cabin for the past 3 weeks, and I figured I'd post some pictures to tempt you all!
First, this is the most complete part of the quilt. I've never used a quilt-as-you-go method, but hand working a log cabin calls for it, so I threw together the center squares to check whether there was anything I should be cautious of when piecing each block. I'm sewing the edges of the finished backs by machine, and then "quilting" down the top edges so that it's more continuous with the pattern. It seems to be a pretty sturdy seam so far.
(This image is the most accurate in terms of coloring of the blue pieces--there are some greens and purples in this picture that did not turn out very accurately, but it's a very blue quilt)
I'm doing an overall 8 x 8 barn raising pattern. Since I have 24 blocks done, I have them laid out here in a 4 x 6 set. I plan to attach the blocks "log cabin style", going around and around so that I don't have to worry about trying to sew down the middle of the quilt when it's in its full, mammoth proportions. My original muslin (that I'm using for the backing) shrunk by about 2 yards (ugh terrible fabric these days . . .), and while I matched the color pretty well, the texture of some of the blocks will be slightly different, so I'm going to piece the rest of the blocks before continuing construction.
This picture shows a close-up of the prints of each fabric. I selected 11 lights and 8 darks (I basically pulled every bolt that could possibly "go" from the calico and cotton section at Joann's . . .), and navy for the center square. Each block uses 10 lights and 10 darks, so there's some repetition, but I've gotten pretty good at randomizing fabric choices by now. I sliced up about 10 yards of the calicos into 1.5" wide strips x the fabric width before I came back to school (yes, I transported 2 gallon size ziplocs of fabric strips over the US-Canada border), and each set of strips lasts about 5 blocks, if that makes any sense ;-)
The last image is the back of one of the squares--it looks a lot less wonky in real life, promise! I'm averaging about 5-6 stitches per inch, but I'm really working on getting that number up to 7, with more even stitches. Each block takes about 40 minutes. Each block is about 1 foot square, with the center square 2", and each strip about 1"
The only thing I'm not sure about at the moment is what color and width to bind it in. Ideally I'd like to match the center square, but I don't know how easy that will be :-(
Hopefully the next update will have more of the construction done!