This was the first doll I ever made. Years ago I saw a picture in a magazine and I thought that I could replicate that. So this was my attempt. My daughter loves her. She has no face but I kind of like that mystery about her.
A closer view:
I have so many other dolls and crafts that I want to post but I make them and give them all away before I take a photo. Maybe with the incentive of posting here I will remember !!!
OK, so a tutorial.....here we go let me know if it doesn't make any sense !
The body is actually a heart turned upside down.
I just cut out a heart on paper by doing it the old-school way of folding it in half and cutting on the fold. Then I used that to cut out 2 of the fabric. I used some left over batik fabrics i had and her other body parts are made out of muslin. Her head is an oval shape that I turned sideways. you can just draw this on the fabric and cut 2 out. The arms and legs are just something from my head. I basically looked at old rag dolls and saw that they had mitten shaped hands, then I added 2 1/2 to 3 inches more for the arms. With the legs I did the same thing. But I drew the feet I wanted then added about 4 inches for the leg part. I stitched all of that together and left an opening on the side of each one to turn and stuff. I used poly-fil. But you can use anything you want. I didn't stuff it to tight. I knew I was adding stuff to the outside of the body and I wanted a little give. I then went through my trims stash and found a lot of fringe. If you look closely you can see that her hair and skirt are made of fringe. I used grosgrain ribbon to trim out the top of the skirt. All of that I just whip-stitched on where I wanted it. Her arms legs and head I added by doing the same thing. I found where I wanted it and took a few stitches to hold it is place. I took some pink fringe and placed it on the head and fooled around with it till it looked good then I stitched that in place too. I took some of the hair and tied it up to the sides with ribbon. I added a wand I made from wire and beads, and an ankle bracelet from seed beads. I did gather a little silk ribbon I had and put it around her neck and arms so that you cant see that it's just tacked on there a little bit. The wings I made from some feathers. I just gathered them in a bunch (1 bunch for each side) and I wrapped it with some wire, then tacked it on with a whip-stitch. All in all I think it took the longest to stitch the body parts and stuff them. It's my least favorite part of the whole project.
Anyway I hope I explained it OK. I usually just show people and it is a lot easier than trying to explain in writing how to do it all. If you don't understand anything just let me know !!!
See ya !! Cristina