I've been trying to decide how to make one of those!! My daughter and I both have a 17 inch lap and they just don't make anything that size that is bright and cheery! Questions, questions, questions!! Did you use batting and make layers for the padding around the pc? Are there any pockets inside? Are the straps reinforced with anything in particular? I did measure my laptop, but that is as far as I have gotten. Maybe you have inspired me enough to proceed a little further! VERY cute bag! Love it!
Those are all good questions. Here's how I made this bag:
1. Cut out lining pieces. I made two "sandwiches" out of plain fabric and an old sweatshirt. I sewed a few times through the middle to make long "stripes" to keep everything together.
2. Cut out outside pieces. I just plunked my computer down on my bright, cheery fabric and carefully cut around it.
3. I cut strips for the sides and bottom. Again, just estimate and allow a 1/4 to 1/2 inch seam allowance.
4. I pinned the lining and one "outside" piece together. I sewed these to the bottom strip.
5. Repeat with other side.
6. Measure zipper length and adjust side pieces accordingly. Sew side strips--your bag will really take shape now. My zipper overlaps with the side pieces, in that the side pieces cover the bottom/top parts of the zipper. Sew two thin strips to each side of the zipper. This helped me sew the zipper to the rest of the bag.
7. Carefully pin the zipper and handles to the top of the bag. For the handles, I have some rolls of stiff material that makes a very sturdy handle. I used three prices of that in each handle.
Best of luck--post pictures when you're done!!