We've done Vintage Halloween and Vintage Christmas -- how about Vintage Valentines? Valentine shrines, fancy paper hearts, stitched sweet treasures, maybe a bit of candy thrown in for good measure. Any interest?
I made this shrine for my partner in the Vintage Halloween swap -- in a former life, it was a cigar box. I painted the edges black and sealed them, and left the brassy finishings on.
Here's the front. Boo. I love these papers together, and have been searching for a place to use these glittery letters. The pumpkin is from a new sheet of ephemera/stickers that I fell in love with after I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more Halloween stuff. Oops.
The back - more polka dotted happy paper, a black cat image and some fun sticker border stuff.
The inside -- I have had this skeleton paper for a while, and it's been looking for the right place to haunt. I cut the sheet into two parts so that it would take up both of the inside panels. Then I wanted it to have a spooky/vintage/sweet feel, so I added some gray/purple flowers, a vintage skeleton key (get it?), some little potion bottles, a lizard and some bats, and some mini mirrors for the heck of it.
I was really pleased with how it turned out, and it was seriously fun to put together!
I made this vintage style haunted house for my partner in the Vintage Halloween Swap. I have had this kit in my stash for a little while, and have been waiting for the perfect project. (The kit shows it as a little cottage or Christmas church -- the makers didn't realize that it's obviously supposed to be a haunted house. I mean, duh. )
Please pardon my super rad cubicle photos.
A close up of the little owl who lives upstairs:
And a vintage photo look for a vintage house. I made the pumpkin from paper clay, and the trees are bottle brush trees. I sent along a little faux flickering candle so the house can light up at night.
This was a super fun project for a super fun swap, with a super awesome partner! Thanks for looking!
I made this for Mr. 'Boo for our anniversary this year in May. (We get that they are overplayed -- we just can't deny our love for them! Ha.) Anyway, I picked up the wooden piece at Michaels and then had at it with my wood burning tool. I designed it myself, and made up the fonts and all that. It was really fun to play around with lettering!
It's currently hanging above our fireplace, which I guess feels appropriate for a wood burning piece. Here's a dark shot of it.
I have a New Year's resolution to actually use up some of the many, many, many craft supplies I have been hoarding over the years. I was lucky enough to score a bunch of canvases last summer, and have set out on a mission to make myself some art. Here are two mixed media pieces that I recently completed.
The black flower started out as a doodle that got very involved -- I was playing with gel pens. Then I figured I put so much time into the doodle, I should make it into something more permanent. (I should note though -- gel pens did not appreciate the gel medium that I put on top to seal things. They smeared a little. Ah well.) To make the background, I layered on some old sewing patterns, slopped on some purple paint and had a bunch of fun stenciling some stars all around. (They go over on the edges too.) Then I used a black pen to just make some random dots here and there.
I'm a writer by profession and wanted something to spruce up my cubicle -- I have had this typewriter image for at least two years, so it was definitely time to put it to use. The background of this canvas is scrapbook paper, and I used a section of the dictionary (the "writer" section) to add some more interest. I had some paper circles with German text on them that I received in a paper swap a few years ago that I have been "saving" for just the right project, so they got added in too. (They really juxtapose the circles with English writing on them from the scrapbook paper.) Then there's lots of paint, more star stenciling, some washi tape wiht French writing, and some water color pencils for interest.
It was really fun trying to use up some of my stash... though I have enough stuff to make about a thousand more of these. They're so fun to make though!
I made this little guy (these little guys?) for CDEeeek in the Vintage Halloween swap. In its first life, it was an old mirror that I picked up at a yard sale. I removed the mirror and spray painted the frame. Then I painted the backing and made the little cats out of paper clay. I painted them with craft paint, and then glued on the letters.
I made this owl recently for CDEeeek in the Vintage Halloween swap. It's one of two wooden owls that I snagged at a yard sale, and this is the first to have his makeover. I did a base coat of gesso, followed by craft paints and then a spray sealant.
And a close up:
I'm going to start the other one this week for my husband and will post a pic if my idea is successful! Thanks for looking!
I have been holding onto these frames since I found them for about $1 at a yard sale this summer -- I knew they had potential, but had no idea what I was going to do with them. (Scroll down for the "before" shot.) At first, I had envisioned some collage piece here, but then felt simple was better. And, I have been searching for a great place to display some of my favorite vintage Valentines!
A few close ups:
And the before -- the frames were a very dark forest green, and the pictures inside were generic chickadee illustrations. I went to the yard sale with a friend who looked at me like I had two heads when I bought them.