i was inspired by this post to paint my own cherry blossom tea set. i've been wanting to go paint my own pottery for awhile now, and i finally went and did it on my 22nd birthday (tuesday), and i just got it back today.
it looks more confetti-like, but i like it. pretty good for a first try, i think. also, it's actually a very pale pink background, if you can tell.
i painted the blossoms on either side of each piece so you can see one no matter which way it's held/turned.
inside of the cup.
inside of the pot.
an artist always has to sign her work! i did this on the pot and the cup, and i painted my initials and the date on the lid.
i finished this kitty pi in a little under a week. it was knit on size US11 dpn's and 24" circulars with 2 skeins of cascade pastaza. amazingly, it only took one wash through our HE (high efficiency; front-loading) washer. we just moved into a new apartment. whereas our old apartment had a top-loading washer, it would take about 3 washes or so to felt something. and i asked in one of my livejournal communities about the difference between the two washers, and it seemed like the HE washer would take longer. so i was surprised. though it still smells like a foot. i guess it being 50% wool and 50% llama and being wet, it won't smell too good. anyway, onto the pictures.
pre-felting. ignore my toe.
still slightly damp this morning. i managed to catch the last bit of sun, it's all cloudy now. my Kai is checking it out, but then he wrinkled his nose like, "YUCK, it still smells like butt."
and from the side.
the blue/yellow part turned out more yellow than i thought it would, but all in all, i like it. i'd choose different colors next time (should i happen to make another one), or the noro big kureyon the pattern calls for. alas, my yarn store didn't carry it, and the cascade was cheaper anyway. i have just a tiny bit of the blue/yellow yarn left, so it worked out fine. now i just need to sprinkle some catnip in it and pray the booger will use it....
yarn: Lorna's Laces worsted in Iris Garden, just over 2 skeins. (i divided the required yarn in half, because it was double-stranded koigu, then bought 100 yards more, ending up with 900 yards, or 4 skeins. i used about 1/4 of the third skein)
needles: #9 32" addi turbos
time: about 2 months. not continuously, of course, but i started in february, and i've been knitting at it up until today.
for: my sister, who's baby girl Jocelynn is due in June.
she's a little sensitive about her silver eye, so try not to pay attention to it.
i made her out of a pair of socks i wore for awhile, and they're now immortalized into a cute little stuffie who's about to embark on a trip thanks to the little visitor swap here on the craftster boards.
i got a new 30GB video ipod saturday, and i had a skein of noro silk garden lying around and this is what came out of it:
for christmas, i knit up 4 pairs of handwarmers for my family back home in Ohio (all wool). then, my 2 y/o nephew continued to steal my sister's, and a woman my mother goes to school with requested some. i knit my nephew's in red knitpicks merino style. for the woman, i picked up a skein of lionbrand microspun. i have NEVER had so much trouble with a yarn. i finished one, and finally started the second one a few weeks afterward. about 2/3 of the way through, the acrylic was too sticky on my bamboo needles, and a few stitches slipped off. because of the horrible plying, i couldn't get them back on and frogged it. bought some aluminum needles, and FINALLY finished them today:
and i can FINALLY send both pairs out tomorrow. i am never knitting handwarmers ever again. lol