I cannot tell you how happy I am to finally have these finished. I finished knitting them on New Years Eve, I was determined to have them done before the start of this year. I absolutely love them and can't wait to start wearing them. I washed and dried them and it made them super soft. I knit them using pink wool ease that I had in my stash. These mittens were probably the most unenjoyable knit to date. It wasn't because they were difficult, they were actually really easy, but they were boring. I had to do cabling every other row which also made it boring because I couldn't watch tv while I was making them. I didn't use a pattern to make these, I just picked a cable pattern out of one of my stitch pattern books that looked like the one from the movie. There are a few patterns floating around for mittens like these if you want to make some. I think someone posted one here on crafster a few months ago and I know there are a few on Ravelry also.
P.S. Ignore the other knit in the picture, it was for a blog post.
I made the Mara shawl and I love it, I found the pattern for free on Ravelry. I changed the pattern a little. In the directions it tells you to do a k2, p2 rib, but if you look at the close up shots you can see that it is actually a k3, p2 rib so I did the k3, p2 rib. I used up all the fisherman's wool in my stash, by the time I reached the ribbing it felt like it was taking a half hour to knit each row. I was like, "I am in knitting hell". I'm glad I stuck it out and made my shawl as big as I did, it's so cozy and warm. I can't wait to wear this tomorrow.
I knit this with some fingering weight yarn that I had in my stash for a few years, I died it with purple kool-aid. I had originally done the first half of the shawl incorrectly so I had to frog it and start over from the beginning. It was really fun to knit and the pattern was simple. I really love wearing it, I have blocked it again since I took these pictures because it was to long, now it looks like the picture from the magazine.
I did a 3 needle bind off instead of grafting so its a little wonky but when I grafted it, it didn't look good that way either.
This is showing the way I did it the first time beside the correct way