Holy crap, Pink Hickey, your adventures in spinning are full of awesome!! I feel like I've just been gobsmacked. With yarn. Yarnsmacked.
I've only got one skein, since I really haven't been spinning much at all recently - I got into this mode of being very productive making things to sell, and not so much on being productive on making things for me. I'm working on fixing this. Anyway, I've got this one skein, Goin' Rogue (because Sarah Palin still makes me laugh). The fiber was combed together from wool, sari silk, bamboo, milk protein fiber, and a ton of sparkle. I corespun it using a fuzzy mohair yarn as the core. About 4.5 oz, 72 yards.
Thanks for all the compliments! I've been wanting to get back into developing more color film, but my chems went bad and I need to place another order. When I do, though, I'm going to get an E-6 kit as well, so I can try developing color slide film properly and also try cross processing regular color negative C-41 films.
Forestine, I still have my spent chems hanging around, actually, because I'm not sure what to do with them. I read on the net that any place that does photo developing (even a Walgreens or CVS with the one-hour developing) is legally obligated to take chems in that need to be disposed of properly, but I'm not sure if that's true. I think I may wait around until spring, when my town does a 'Dispose of your hazardous waste!' day where you can get rid of old paint and stuff like that.
I hope the camera is functional too, or else I'm going to be one sad Lufah! I haven't run film through it yet since the leatherette kept flaking everywhere as soon as I touched it, but the shutter, viewfinder, film advance, and focusing all seem to work, so I don't really see why it shouldn't. The lenses need cleaned, though, and I want to get some proper lens cleaning fluid before I touch them, but I may shoot a roll of film through it tomorrow anyway because I want to try it out so much.
I won an eBay auction last week of a lot of old cameras, and in it was this little gem:
I took it out of the box without thinking - it had been delivered in about 10 degree temperatures, and the leatherette, already in bad shape, just started flaking off everywhere. The worst was this side:
Yeah, you really shouldn't be able to see that seam in the metal and the screws and stuff.
My first thought was to replace the leatherette with actual leather, but unfortunately, all of the pieces I had were too thick and looked weird. So, after delving further into my fabric stash, I dug out a piece of old brown vinyl which seemed like it would work. Some cutting and Gorrilla Glue later, here's what I had:
The job isn't quite as neat as I would have liked - I tried to make templates from the flaked off pieces of leatherette, but there were areas where I just had to kind of guess how to cut it. However, from a few feet away it looks really sharp, and now I can actually use the camera without worrying about pieces flaking off of it. Not too sure how the Gorrilla Glue is going to hold up, but if I ever need to replace the vinyl, I have some other ideas in mind to try using (one involves cut-up bumperstickers!).
Hey, FairyFemme - apparently you and I are sharing the same mind grapes. I tried developing color film in black and white chems for the first time today. I used some Portra 160NC that was on a 220 spool, so I cut off a length of that and respooled it on 116 backing paper, since I was using one of my old box cameras, the Agfa Shur Shot (it's the one in the middle):
It's neat because you get sort of panorama pictures with it. Anyway, I developed the film as usual using Kodak HC110b as my developer at around 66 degrees for 7 minutes, then stop bath and fix as usual. When I took the reel out when I was washing it off after the fixer, the film looked opaque brown and I thought I had done something wrong. It turns out that the film is just really, really dark when you do this (at least when I did it), so if yours turns out that way, don't freak out. I couldn't even tell there were images on it until I hung the film up to dry. My film scanned in with no problem, though - I think if you have a halfway decent film scanner and scan the film in as a color negative, it should be fine.
Here's one of my pics. The only adjustment I made in Photoshop was to resize it and get rid of some hairs (I am the world's sloppiest photo-person):