FINALLY here's my accidental cloche hat!
using circular bamboo needles (I'm not sure of the gauge becuz my sister sent them to me, I think around 6 or 8?!?! smaller than a pencil at any rate)
I cast on 88 using Noro Kuyreon. Since I was teaching myself how to cable, I used an 8-count cable pattern, repeated 11 times around the bottom, so I'd tie a marker, then purl one, knit 6, purl one, and do a marker, did that 11 times. This makes the bottom flare out all cute and stuff and makes it really cloche-y.
When I use circs I don't join the first 2 or 3 rows so I make sure not to twist it-it's a lot easier for me that way
I also usually don't switch to doubles, mostly because I can't keep enough of them around, but also because I just pull the slack from the cable thru the right side and that works well enough for me.
Anyway I did 20 rows of the cabling stitch, doing the 'cross' on every 5th row, so I have 4 'crosses' of the cable. For my cable holder I used a pencil. Cheap and readily available!
After the 20th row, purl two rounds, knit two rounds 4 more times, for the shaping to the top, (try it on to make sure it's deep enough at this point) and then decrease every time after the marker! (so every 8, then ever 7, every 6 etc.) when you're left with 8 go thru the loops with a needle, pull tight, and you're done. That was it!
I used just under 2 skeins of the stuff, it's kinda pricey but I LURVE how it self-stripes. It's airy enough that I can wear it in the springy wet MN weather.
Hope that made sense to everyone.....let me know if you're totally lost and I'll do my best to help but that's my very first pattern ever published!
Movies I watched while working on this include Daredevil, the Matrix Revolutions, and also some stuff on Cinemax with names that are not appropriate for this venue.