This is one of my favourite holiday treats to make. Similar to a praline, these crunchy spiced nuts are perfect for Christmas Eve snacks!Christmas Nuts
You will need:
1 pound pecans, walnuts, or mixed nuts
1 egg white, room temp
1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1/3 c brown sugar
2/3 c white sugar
Preheat oven to 300F.
I very highly recommend that you use a Silpat for this recipe. If you don't have one, or don't know what it is, you should look it up. They're not too expensive and they are a lifesaver for sticky recipes. If you don't own a silpat, feel free to use parchment paper but make sure you grease it slightly.
1. Mix together both sugars, spices, and salt. Stir to combine, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whip your egg white until frothy but not stiff. You want all of the egg white to be bubbly but not a solid. Add the water and stir to incorporate.
3. Add your nuts of choice to the egg white and make sure every nut gets covered!
4. Toss in your sugar/spice mix and stir! Make sure every nut gets some spicy love.
5. Spread evenly on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When your 30 minutes is up, you might think the nuts aren't done because they're still 'gooey'.
Regardless, take them out of the oven and let them cool at room temperature for at least an hour. They'll stiffen up within minutes. Make sure you stir them occasionally so they don't stick together too much. If you end up with clumps, just break them apart with a spoon when they have completely cooled.
They will stay fresh for at least a week in a sealed container or jar. I prefer to put mine into Mason jars.