I didn't want to spend big bucks on a stroller for my little guy, but I wanted something cute. Mom-in-law gave us this great lightweight stroller than can do a bit of off-roading, but it only came in black or red. Here's the solution I came up with!
How I made it
The only materials needed were fabric (I used less than a yard and a half total), some scraps to make bias tape with, a needle and thread.. First thing I did was measure each of the 3 panels from side to side as well as the width of the widest part between the stitching over the top. I then cut out 3 rectangles that were large enough to cover the area I'd measured.
Starting with the back panel, I draped the rectangle over the area and pinned it in place. I then cut around the shape of the panel, leaving at least 1 inch on all sides. I repeated this process for the middle and front panels.
Next, I stitched the back and middle panels right sides together (over the top long seam) and ironed flat open. I laid them over the canopy before pinning the front panel the middle panel, then I stitched those together, sewed, and ironed open.
Next thing I had to do was make the cut-out for the screen opening. This is the only part that I feel came out a bit wonky. I cut open the area, then used bias tape to cover the raw edges. The stitching here was a bit wobbly, but I'm ok with it.
Once the 3 panels were sewn together, I pinned them in place over the existing seam lines. I stitched-in-the-ditch (by hand) on the 2 seam lines, attaching the cover to the canopy. Pulling the cover taut as I went, I then folded and pinned the raw edges under the canopy and stitched by hand all the way around, attaching the canopy completely to the stroller. (I did have thoughts of attaching the cover with velcro or magnets so that I could remove and wash it, but I felt that it really needed to be sewn all the way around the front to have the best results).
Thanks for looking!