I received my package from Iwriteplays today! You'll have to pardon the pictures, I'm really lazy since my computer has a built in camera. They are pink and green. She calles them Naughty and Nice. Great job on the ruffles! I tried a new pattern (lace. and round.) then when it wasn't coming out verey pretty, I chickened out and sent my standard pattern. So I guess what I am trying to say is that, even though you think the ruffles are a pain in the butt, Way to go!! Thanks!
Ginamonster, I'm so glad you like them! I promise to take pictures of your cloths soon! Gina also sent me an awesome handmade bar of soap which is currently cleaning hands in my bathroom
I have some more pics of my dishcloths (that are a little more color accurate). This was my first attempt at double-knitting AND ruffles. I like the double-knitting better --- ruffles hurt my fingers!
These hats are so easy and quick to make, it's a great antidote to those huge, long-term projects we're all working on. It's also a great way to bust your stash (or a good reason to buy new yarn), and you're helping children around the world! What more could you ask for?
I've made a few more... I'll post them once I take pics.
I felt like making myself a hat. So I went down to Michael Levine's in Los Angeles and found some Filatura DiCrosa's 127 Print yarn in color 41. I bought two skeins, but was lucky to get away with only using one for this hat:
(Sorry for the crappy pics. I took them with my iSight camera under bad lighting.)
Of course, I have a small head, so most people would probably have to use more than one skein to make a hat.
By the way, my new obsession is self-striping yarn. I can't get enough.
So now I have another skein of this yarn left over. Any ideas of what I should do with it?
A week before my mom's 60th birthday I still didn't have a present for her. She's been everywhere, done everything, and has all the material things she'll ever need. So what on earth was I going to get for her?
So I decided to make her a photo quilt. I figured I would get 60 photos and make a quilt with 60 squares. I didn't have time to order the fabric you print directly onto, and I didn't have the wherewithal to go out and buy alum and whatnot to make the fabric, so I decided just to use those inkjet transfers, even though it ends up feeling like plastic.
So, with less than a week to put it all together, I got started. It basically took three whole days, but I'm blessed with being unemployed currently, so I was able to get it all together.
Here's the result:
and here she is enjoying it:
I think it turned out pretty well. If I had more time, I would have definitely printed directly onto fabric because the iron-on transfer paper is really finicky. I've never really quilted, so I figure I did okay!
I was recently commissioned to make a baby gift for the upcoming arrival of a friend's niece. She wanted something summery, for when the baby will be about six months old. Here's what I came up with:
The little hearts around the band are done in intarsia, and the top is actually two pieces. The straps continue straight down the back, so the back is open...hopefully it's not too risque! The skirt is actually a full yard of eyelet cotton (with pink cotton lining underneath), and I sewed it on with my sewing machine.
If I could do it over again, I would add more of the light pink to the bodice, but I was getting a little pressed for time. Any thoughts?
So, I had a dilemma. I loved everyone's Lady Eleanor scarves, but I didn't feel the urge to buy a million balls of Noro Kureyon. In desperation, I went to eBay and found a good deal on three balls of Kureyon. So instead of Lady Eleanor, I made a smaller, thinner version. Here's a pic of my foster kittens modeling it:
It's basically just an entrelac scarf of 7 stitches per block, and 3 blocks per row. I think it turned out to be a good compromise, no?
Here's my prototype... It was a sort-of success. I didn't have enough fabric to make the circle skirt, so it was very ad-lib, but I wore the top/skirt today (wore it with jeans underneath) and it was a hit
(sorry about the low-angle shots... I was using my iSight camera on my computer )
Okay, until I make another one and take pictures in the process, this is about the best I can do for a visual:
So, what happens when you sew your pieces together is that you end up with a hole between the zipper and gusset. This is where you stick whatever type of strap (or hardware) you want to use. Basically, if you want to just make it with a normal strap, you'd make your strap (e.g. sew two pieces right-side together down the length of each side, and turn it inside out) and just stick in in the hole. You fold the remaining gusset and zipper "flaps" inwards, and then stick the strap in how you want it. Now for the sewing. You COULD just topstitch the whole deal together, which would be easy enough. But the way I do it is I turn the bag back inside out while holding the strap in place in the "hole". Then I sew it together on the inside of the bag (between the lining and outer pieces). That way you can't see any stitching.
I got a serger 2 days ago and I wanted to practice using it on some fabric that I wouldn't care if I ruined. So I dug up all the t-shirts I was planning on giving to Goodwill (don't worry, I make lots of other donations -- they're not suffering from this loss), and cut them up into pieces. Here's what I started with:
I serged them together kind of haphazardly and decided to make this tiered skirt.
Of course, there's really no front or back, so I can wear it any way I want. Then I used elastic thread and shirred the top so it would be stretchy. I used the serger's cover hem stitch on the bottom (which was a PAIN to thread, let me tell you). All in all, I'm pretty pleased! I can't wait to use my serger more!