I thought I'd share a few pictures of a calendar I've been working on this weekend. The idea is not mine - I found a picture that I liked online & decided to try my own spin on things. It's made from a metal baking sheet as well as a lot of scrapbooking supplies. The squares are all magnetic, and can be rearranged according to where the numbers fall each month. The back of the calendar contains extra pieces (i.e. for holidays, and extra numbers.) I'm not sure if I'm keeping the month title the way it is, but it will be very easy to change once I decide. Thanks for looking!
I thought I'd share a photo of some letters i made at a scrapbooking class I took a few weeks ago. They're approximately 9" tall, and have a slot thingy cut on the backs of them to hang on the wall. I think that I could have put a lot more on the fronts to embellish them a bit, but this was my first go, and I'm fairly pleased with how they turned out.
Hi, I just thought I'd share a couple of pictures of a quilt I've been working on for the past couple of weeks.
I wasn't sure if I would have enough time to actually quilt this - it's a gift for my fiance, who is living a couple of hours away while he finishes school.
I started out by tying the layers together, with the idea that I could quilt it as I went up to visit with him, but I finished things earlier than I thought that I would, and so I've decided to try to quilt the entire thing before wrapping it up and putting it underneath the tree.
To make this quilt (which is queen-sized, and 6.5' by 7.5'), I used 3 metres of the blue/grey plaid that makes up the majority of the small squares/binding, 5 metres of plaid flannel for my backing, and slightly less than 1/2 of the fabric from 12 or so men's cotton plaid shirts that I picked up at a couple of secondhand stores. It nearly killed me to cut up what looked like perfectly good shirts (but I had the boy try them on beforehand, just in case any of them suited him to wear...thankfully they didn't!)
I still have enough squares leftover to make another queen-sized top, and I imagine I'll use it for a Christmas gift next year.
Thanks for looking!
I'm in the process of going around the 5 small squares in each of the pieced blocks, but you can see the stitches from the other squares quite well in this photo.
This was my attempt to use iron-in interfacing on both the outer and inner fabrics of a bag, and other than the strip at the top being a little crooked, I'm pleased with my first try. The interfacing makes the bag very sturdy.
I'm going to take out a bit of the topstitched seam and put in either a button and loop or ribbon closure, but thought that I would post pictures as it is right now. The dimensions are about 9.5" high by about 12" wide and 2" deep, and I used the basic jordy idea.
This is my favourite side out, although you can really tell that the striped piece is wider on one side than the other
after allowing my sewing machine to gather dust for most of the winter, I sat myself down in front of it last night to make a 'test' totebag, and as I'm pleased with how it has turned out, I thought that I would post pictures of it here. It's a little wrinkly, as I hadn't pressed it, and I think that the next time I'll make the handles 2 more thicknesses of material so they won't be so flimsy. I didn't take any pictures of the inside as it isn't anything fancy - I really wanted to get the shape worked out first before I took the time to put pockets in. Anyhow, here it is:
Here's a couple of pictures of a flannel quilt I made for my new little nephew. It was the first one I tried making, and although my hands were very sore by the end of all of the snipping, I think that it's something that I'll make again sometime soon.
While I was working on it, I kept referring to it as the 'no-baby' quilt, as it has x's stitched across the blocks...and it's funny that the quilt wound up matching a set of sheets I purchased the other day (if you haven't tried cotton jersey sheets, they're *so* comfortable!)
I finally finished a bag that I've been working at off and on all week. It was an attempt to copy a bag that I saw in a shop and thought 'I can make that'. Anyhow, I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks of it. It has a magnetic closure, but the sides also have a strap that brings the sides in closer together to make a more tapered shape. All of the seams are reinforced, and I didn't bother with interfacing, as the outer fabric is a heavy canvas type fabric.
Okay, this is my 5th bag or so, using tinafish's tutorial. For this one, I added a couple of inches of both length and width to my original pattern, and used a wider strap to balance things out. The lining is flannel, and I'm not sure how long it will hold up, but I enjoy the contrast in colour & feel of the fabric. It's hard to tell from this picture, but it's made from brown corduroy http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jen_m_ca/cordhobo.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jen_m_ca/blackhobo.jpg This was my first attempt, and I think that I had a lot going against me from the start. Both fabrics I found hard to work with, and I'm not too happy with how where the strap joins turned out. But I do like the contrast in texture between the two fabrics.