I thought I'd share a photo of some letters i made at a scrapbooking class I took a few weeks ago. They're approximately 9" tall, and have a slot thingy cut on the backs of them to hang on the wall. I think that I could have put a lot more on the fronts to embellish them a bit, but this was my first go, and I'm fairly pleased with how they turned out.
Hi, I just thought I'd share a couple of pictures of a quilt I've been working on for the past couple of weeks.
I wasn't sure if I would have enough time to actually quilt this - it's a gift for my fiance, who is living a couple of hours away while he finishes school.
I started out by tying the layers together, with the idea that I could quilt it as I went up to visit with him, but I finished things earlier than I thought that I would, and so I've decided to try to quilt the entire thing before wrapping it up and putting it underneath the tree.
To make this quilt (which is queen-sized, and 6.5' by 7.5'), I used 3 metres of the blue/grey plaid that makes up the majority of the small squares/binding, 5 metres of plaid flannel for my backing, and slightly less than 1/2 of the fabric from 12 or so men's cotton plaid shirts that I picked up at a couple of secondhand stores. It nearly killed me to cut up what looked like perfectly good shirts (but I had the boy try them on beforehand, just in case any of them suited him to wear...thankfully they didn't!)
I still have enough squares leftover to make another queen-sized top, and I imagine I'll use it for a Christmas gift next year.
Thanks for looking!
I'm in the process of going around the 5 small squares in each of the pieced blocks, but you can see the stitches from the other squares quite well in this photo.
Here's a couple of pictures of a flannel quilt I made for my new little nephew. It was the first one I tried making, and although my hands were very sore by the end of all of the snipping, I think that it's something that I'll make again sometime soon.
While I was working on it, I kept referring to it as the 'no-baby' quilt, as it has x's stitched across the blocks...and it's funny that the quilt wound up matching a set of sheets I purchased the other day (if you haven't tried cotton jersey sheets, they're *so* comfortable!)
Very cool! I love the fabric color and the size of the tote ROCKS. You did a fantastic job. Do you have the measurements of the bag handy?
Thanks!...for this bag i used about an inch for my seam allowance, and the measurements are about 11.5" by 17" for the front and back pieces (with a curve put in using a plant saucer I believe. The side pieces measure about 16" long, and are 5" at the top and 6" at the bottom. For the bag bottom, I cut a piece that measures 11.5" by 6", and sewed it in once the sides and front/back were all together. I think that I wound up trimming a little bit off the edges, and I likely should have sewn it into the side pieces before putting the bag together...but it worked well so I didn't take anything apart after I started it. I can't remember the measurements for the straps, but I believe they were about 3" taking the seam allowance into account. Hopefully that helps.
Edited to add:...I didn't realize that the pictures don't show it, but the inside of the bag contains an upper lining of the outside fabric attached to the inside lining which shows up in the pictures. Here's a picture that kind of shows what I mean.
I didn't measure the piece, but cut about a 2" strip across the width of my fabric, and that was enough to go around the inside of the bag. For the lining I had to go with the size of the scrap I had, but it turned out pretty close to the size of the outside bag front/back pieces.
Here are a couple of pictures of my attempt at the long wallet. I didn't use any interfacing, but will when I make my next one. I think that I need to adjust the size a little bit in order to fit cards properly in it, but I'm pleased with my first effort.
here's the inside. I rearranged the pockets a bit, and I think that I may handsew a zipper or velcro to close one of the two large pockets.
I probably should have attached this to the lining but forgot, and so it's become a pocket. I don't know how well flannel will hold up as a lining fabric, but I like the look and feel of it.
Thank you very much for posting the pattern & instructions. I had the idea of trying to make a wallet floating around in my head since I made a large hobo-type bag that matches, but I wasn't sure how to go about it from the start. I have a few changes that I'd like to make to my next attempt, but this was a fantastic beginning.
Okay, I made another this evening, but much smaller this time (the front and back pieces were 5" x 7", and I sewed the straps right in, figuring that it would be great for a child to lug around.) It took about 45 minutes, and I was just finishing the last little bit when my fiance suggested that it would likely fit a child's doll or something, and then one of the cats happened to walk by...
I also tacked the top part in just a bit, to give it more of a backpack shape
Hello Everyone! I've been a long-time lurker of this site, and after getting my own sewing machine about a month ago, I couldn't wait to start making some of the beautiful things I've seen here. I made a purple polar fleece monster bag using the jordy tutorial and brought it in to show my coworkers (I teach preschool), and one of the little ones was sure that it was Dora's backpack. And so, with a bit of time this weekend I was able to try to put together something I'm pretty happy with. I hope you enjoy seeing it. http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jen_m_ca/DSCF3536.jpg