I love this work. I've tried working with a print on fabric. It said one was supposed to put the sheet straight into the printer and out would come the print.It came in cotton and silk so it wasn't the same as a transfer. I used the cotton version but I don't think I did it right. I was trying to put a coffee stain onto a print of the death card from a tarot deck. All the colors faded and bled except the black. It may be that I was supposed to set the print with an iron, but I couldn't find much instruction on the specific method I used.
So as an alternative to using turpentine, you could try printing on to these small pieces of fabric. It could give a completely different headache though. You would have to sew many pieces of fabric together and then build the dress out of the sheet you made from that. It would be very patchwork looking.
Glad to read that the you got recognition for the work. I would like to see the whole story about your concept of the lost and found if it isn't too personal. Also, it is good that the teacher did accept the technique as sculptural since it was building a two dimensional object into something three dimensional. If she had had a problem with the technique you could have built a felted dress with an armature, but, ugh! Lol! At least that wasn't a necessity.
P.S. I liked the black trim but you could have used a silver as well, referring back to the silver nitrate that was used in photographs.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I had a wild hope that this was a tutorial. I thought, "At last a gift I could make for some of the men in my life (and a few of the women) but after reading about how long it takes to make this, I think I can live with not having the "tute". LOL. Excellent work. I do have to ask, why are those colors considered unacceptable for more than a prototype? The blue one was the only one slightly out of the norm.
I like what you've made. I could see a couple variations that could be fun. You could make it into a ruffled apron with really big ribbon ties in the back or be a bit naughty with a panel of a skeletal pelvis. I would have suggested a window to a uterus but that could be a bit much, lol.
If you wanted to go 3-d maybe use a whole ham sliced down thick as the walls or even into beams or bricks and use mashed potatoes as a mortar. Veggies could be used as decorative features such as lamp posts, windows, shingles, etc. Use mashed potatoes as glue or use tooth picks. I suppose you could also make a log cabin from carrots. I once did the mashed potato mountain from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"for a Sci-fi themed party.
There is a fun book I picked up once called Play with Your Food that may help inspire future ideas.
I have been soaking some dried fruit in a huge jar with brandy. I was planning on making a cordial from the left over brandy. I have a couple ideas to do with the left over fruit, but I would love any other suggestions. The alcohol is not cooked out so these would be for adults.
I'd like to make a pound cake or angel food cake and pour the fruit over. It could taste good over ice cream. Maybe it could be added to a red wine like a Sangria. or even plain ginger ale for a punch. Maybe it could taste good over a a meat or salmon. Any other ideas?
All I did to make the brandied dried fruit was to take a variety of dried fruit from trader horns and cover in a very large jar with Christian Brothers brand brandy and let soak for a few months shaking occasionally. Remember that the dried fruit will expand. I almost over filled my jar.
I made some really interesting soups over the summer while at a camping event. We had no refrigeration. We had a huge feast and with leftovers of fire grilled duck and left over grilled veggies (onions, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, and scraped corn off the cob, I made a duck stew. I had a friend who didn't like foul and was allergic to onions at the same event so I made a sea food stew from canned goods and a bottle of Chardonnay. I used canned haddock in mustard sauce, smoked oysters and mussels, carrots, corn, beans, mushrooms and used the liquids from the cans as well. I filled out the rest of the fluid with a large bottle of Chardonnay. It was very surprisingly good.