My sister wanted to be something a little sexy for Halloween and settled on Poison Ivy. We were on a bit of a tight budget and really lucked out on this one.
Here is a picture of the finished product:
And now a bit of a description:
Our first stop was at the second hand store, we came away from that place with a pair of white nylons for $0.25
We went to the mall. We were really hoping to find a body suit as that would be the easiest. Our back up plan was to sew a top and a pair of underwear together. I dragged my sister into La Vie En Rose just as we were about to give up on the body suit idea. After asking for them it turns out they had one left in storage in the back, it was only $7! One of the plastic sliders on the strap was broken, so I talked them down another 10%. Originally it was in the range of $30.
Then we tried to find leotards (thick panty hose, a lot like leggings) for the bottom of the costume. Ideally we wanted green ones, no such luck. We ended up buying white ones, $2.00. We found these at Ardenes, which is costume jewelry store. Some clip in red hair caught my eye here. On further investigation it was on sale at 5 packages for $10, so we bought them.
Then over to Michaels. There we got five bunches of leaves, they were on sale 75% off, and cost only $5 per bunch. We also bought some kelly green RIT fabric dye.
We took all of our findings home and brewed a pot of dye on the stove. The two pairs of panty hose went in. The pair of panty hose from the second hand store just would not take the dye, my mom donated a pair and they matched the colour of the leotards almost perfectly.
I feel the need to warn everyone reading this that weird things happen when you have a pot of dye on the stove, some how we ended up dyeing anything that was lying around that was white. It's VERY addictive...lol...h
ere is a pic of some of the stuff drying:
I cut the leaves off of the decorative bunches making sure that the stems were cut off too. At first I tried sewing the leaves onto the body suit, but that took a really long time. I have also discovered that the suit stretches A LOT and not uniformly so the person must be wearing it to ensure proper leaf placement. My mom suggested stapling the leaves, we have a long handled stapler around and ended up using that, this took a good deal of care and you have to be very comfortable with each other for this process! This part took a couple of hours of work, with some breaks thrown in there.
The legs of the nylons were cut off from the tops. I cut small holes in the toe area of the hose to accommodate fingers and the thumbs of each hand. I had my sister put on the gloves and went around each hole with clear nail polish to be sure that the panty hose wouldn't run.
My sister just wore a pair of black knee boots she had. She bought some cheap green eye make up and did here own make up.
Whew...that was a lot of typing. Happy (post) Hallowe'en!