I found this, um, matronly dress while thrift store shopping. It was one of those "OMG this is so ugly" finds, yet the fabric was a neat turquoise and black leopard print, and despite its Designing Women tendencies, I could see it had potential.Before:After:
A couple months later, I found a similar dress and knew if I did it once, I could do it again.Before:After:
Both required the removal of shoulder pads and sleeves and adjustment of the width of the bodice. The blue one was also taken up in the shoulders and neckline, and the hemline was raised. I raised the waist in the pink one, which also had the effect of raising the hemline, and added some elastic gathering to define the waist.
Hope you like it! Comments and criticism welcome.**EDIT!**
I had a brain wave and made one last modification to the pink matronly dress. It takes care of the slight gappiness of the front bustline and adds, IMHO, a bit of extra style.New After: