I really wanted a good sundress for my trip to Florida - one that would expose my shoulders to the sun! I found this pattern, but it is for a far more formal dress (heavy materials, multiple layers, full length), so I modified it in many ways and I am very happy with the result!
The pattern was fairly easy to work with, but here are some comments about the changes and difficulties I did have:
1. I used a cotton fabric.
2. I shortened the skirt to knee length.
3. I entirely took out the underlining and lining except on the bodice where I had one layer to hold the boning.
4. I ended up making the bodice smaller - the original size would have wrapped around itself! Be sure to check it on yourself before sewing the bodice together! So I took off about an inch on each side of the back ties. I should have then modified the skirt so it didn't bunch as much, but I didn't realize it at the time.
5. For the skirt, I would attach the front and back halves to the bodice seperately, then sew the halves together so there isn't any bunching.
But for all the small errors, I still love it! It was perfect for the fabulous weather!