Help! I made what should be an awesome fleece dress using a pattern from the Craftsy "Sewing with Knits" class. It is a surplice/wrap top with an empire waist. The bodice is too short, and when I sewed it all together the waistline hit just below the nipple. NOT A FLATTERING LOOK. I cut the skirt off in an attempt to fix it, and now I'm kind of at a loss as what to do next. Suggestions appreciated!
I borrowed an Ali Foster pattern, cut apart a pair of nice Tommy Hilfiger denim trousers and dug into my stash of Echino fabrics to make my first bag. I had a few issues with topstitching and of course, spent some time with my seam ripper. I am pleased with the results, even if some of the stitching is kind of sloppy. Pics below:
Treatsack 1.0 is a smashing success! I bought some webbing and a buckle, plus several varieties of thread and jeans needles. The 500D Cordura was a leftover scrap from mending some riding pants. I superglued magnetic tape to keep it shut, and added a front pocket for poop bags. I'll be so styling tomorrow at puppy class!
My machine didn't love working with the Cordura, or the webbing actually. Of course, the real culprit was the heavy duty upholstery thread. We'll see how it does tomorrow, I'll probably make a better one for my husband. As soon as I learn how to insert a zipper. IMG_0774 by jujucabra, on Flickr magnets... by jujucabra, on Flickr Dog-tested, Barley approved. by jujucabra, on Flickr
So my BFF bought a condo last fall, and I made him a lap quilt as a housewarming gift. I started with a tutorial for a Friendship star, and then realized that Maverick/Liberated stars were much more interesting. I spent a few days measuring and cutting a ton of 4.5 and 5.25" squares, eventually adding in more fabrics as I found them. After a break for my honeymoon, moving, new puppy, I finally picked it up again around christmas, and four months later, it's done. It's almost an I-Spy quilt, as it's got a bit of a nautical/pirate/bird/bicycle theme using blue & orange. He had sent me a few yards of a Badtz Maru fabric that he purchased over 10 years ago, and I worked that into some of the stars as well as the backing. I used my Bernina 440QE and BSR to freemotion a meandering wave/water design around all of the stars using a variegated orange/green/red thread. I'm really pleased.
This is my first finished garment. I use the term "finished" loosely, as the seams are kind of sloppy and I couldn't figure out how to thread my serger so I did it all zigzag style on my bernina 440. I used a Burda pattern with slight modifications (I wanted the front ties to wrap to the back) out of a cotton/bamboo knit I found at Mill End last summer.
I did it - I finally completed a quilt. I made the top the night before a free-motion quilting class (I really wanted to have a project to finish), but it's been languishing for weeks while we've been busy house shopping & getting hitched. I'm tired of looking at it, so I got my act together and learned how to make a binding, and after much trial and error IT IS DONE!
It's sitting in the washer now awaiting morning to be dried, and I'll add a photo of the awesomeness then. It may end up as a baby gift for some friends, or I may just keep it. We'll see how it looks.
I began a patchwork project last fall while I was recuperating from knee surgery. It left me with two large pillow covers and two pieces that I had no idea how to integrate. Fast forward to spring, when I had the urge to sew again... some strip piecing, scrappy squares and lots & lots of rotary cutting later, I have a king-sized quilt top.
Because it's so big, I was planning to "quilt as you go" but the idea was more daunting than reassuring, and I wanted to make sure that everything would be the right size. Now to piece the backing, and figure out a way to quilt it. I need a new sewing machine before I get into that.