I'm so glad I bought this book. Before I was actually crocheting wrong, and I also could not read patterns at all. I decided to go with something small to start with, so that's why I picked this shrug.
It's made with acrylic, [I know, I know], but that's because I wanted to do a test run if you will, before using "nice" yarn. My mom had some Caron acrylic yarn in black in her stash.
Free is always good, so I went with that.
Honestly I love how it turned out. I washed it on gentle in the washer, and it made it a lot softer. It'll be perfect over some of my tank tops, and I just really think it's super cute.
The only thing that is off is I ended up with 14 whole shells and 2 half shells in rows 9 thru 12 instead of 17 whole shells and 2 half shells. The lucky part is somehow it all stayed semetrical, and they're all evenly spaced. My gauge must have gotten off even though I did a test swatch in the beginning and it was good. I also had to fudge a little bit on one side of the collar, because it was pointier than the other. So I added a couple extra stitches and now they match.
Thank you for making this pattern! it goes so fast I'll probably make some more.
Anyhow, here's a picture. I have more, but they're big, so I'll just put the links to them.