My baby has just moved from her crib to her "big girl bed" and we decided that we should redecorate her room to celebrate that milestone. As we're renting an apartment right now, we couldn't just paint the walls and change the bedding. And we didn't want a bland, blah room for our little dynamo, so we decided on a BRIGHT
color scheme of hot pink and purple (or "puh-po", as the munchkin says). We're not finished yet, but I thought I'd post some of what we've got done so far...
I apologize in advanced for the poor lighting in the photos. Our digital camera's flash isn't working.... *Sigh* Technology, eh?
This is a photo of the dresser that my husband painted. It's a really well built dresser, but the wood was stained that almost greenish-blonde late 1960's stain and neither my husband or I could stand it. We'd actually tried to sell this furniture a few times and couldn't find any takers. Yeah. That ugly. So we painted. Had to get the bright colors in somehow since the walls are white! http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=9c06scd.jpg&.src=ph
The next photo is of the matching nightstand. Same original yucky stain. Same colors of paint. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=63cdscd.jpg&.src=ph
I couldn't find any lamps that were fun and young that matched the colors of the room, so I decided to make my own shades. I found the lamp base at the local Meijer store for $14.99 (cheaper than if I would have made them myself and exactly what I wanted!) and then got a plane lamp shade at Michaels to decorate. I found some bright pink tissue paper, some paper flower petals, some hanging beads and some ribbon and went to work with my trusty friend, Mod Podge. For my first endeavor in the realm of making a lamp or decoupaging, I'm pretty proud of my handiwork...
Here's the lamp off: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=5bbdscd.jpg&.src=ph
and here's the lamp on: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=e663scd.jpg&.src=ph
I decided that the walls were a bit plain too and even though I'm not a very artistic person when it comes to painting or drawing, I thought I'd whip up some sort of wall art. So I got some inexpensive foam board at Michael's, some bright tempera paints, pulled out some art sponges that we use for art projects and paint brushes and came up with this: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=e060scd.jpg&.src=ph
(Goodness, I need to take some better photos....)
The things that I'm still working on are the crazy bright bed quilt (just have to get the backing on, bind it and quilt it... once again, a first for me), crocheting an afghan for the foot of her bed, painting some bookshelves that are in the room and rearranging the furniture so it flows a bit better. But I'm pretty proud of what we've accomplished so far and would love feedback or suggestions. (This is my first posting to show what I have been crafting so I'm a little nervous about the first "unveiling", but I'm always trying to improve my crafting, so I think it's important to share.) Thanks for looking!
edited to figure out photo gliches....