Ok Crafsters, here we go. It's getting late and I'm crossing my fingers that this is a decent tutorial, please correct mistakes and/or ask questions. I'm available for help and I take harrasment well...so lets get going!Get Out the Scissors
1) Measure and cut out pleather and liner to the above specified numbers and dimensionsHandle Top of Bag
2) *Take (2) pieces of pleather a.
placing them right sides together, pin if necessary. Stitch around 3 sides, using a 1/2" seam allowance. Bottom straight edge is left open. Clip tiny slits along semicircular cutout, not going beyond seam, to allow for curve. Turn a 1/2" hem up along bottom openings, seam around hem on both sides. Turn piece right side out. Repeat from * for remaining 2 pieces of a.
3) *Turn a 1/4" hem on all 4 sides of pleather b.
, raw edges to the wrong side. Repeat from * for 3 remaining pieces of b.
4) *Fold right sides together of pleather c.
lengthwise. Seam along long edge, leaving ends open. Be sure openings are large enough to just accommodate the size of your rope. Turn fabric tube right side out. This can be time consuming, I used a chopstick to push the fabric through. Repeat from * for second piece of c.
5) *Thread 1 piece of rope d.
through the above handle tube. Try using a bent wire hanger to hook onto rope and pull. The rope should be centered within the tube, allowing for about 4" of tube on either end. Knot fabric at each end of the rope and cut excess pleather to the length of your liking. Repeat from * for second piece of rope d.
6) Assemble 2 sets of a./b./c./ as shown, pinning to secure. Mark pleather at snap position, lining up handles. Install snaps as directed on snap packaging.
All 4 female ends of snaps on one handle/side, and 4 male snaps on other handle/side.Outside Zippers and Their Pockets
7) Position 2 exterior zippers at a 'v' shaped diagonal on 1 piece of lining e.
Secure with pins and stitch along each side of each zipper. Open zipper and make a straight cut along zipper opening. Place pleather f.
directly over (pleather side up) zippered e.
and mark where zippers are to be. Set aside Cut along mark and turn 1/4" of raw edge under by pinning. Do this for both zipper openings. Place cut and turned f.
carefully over e.
so zippers fit into turned back openings. Pin in place and seam around zippers, attaching e.
and catching all turned under raw edges.
Take second lining e.
and placing it over zippered e.
pin raw edges together. Seam liner e.
to liner e.
avoiding the attached pleather f.
Cut a straight line in the center of the attached e.
liner pocket to allow for separate pockets to be made.(..if a single pocket is desired, don't cut!) Pin the newly cut edges of liner pockets e.
and seam each pocket closed. Body of Bag
9) Pin pleather f.
's, right sides together. Seam, starting from 1" down from top, along 3 sides, and stopping 1" from top on other side -leaving the 16" top open. Zippers will be at the bottom 3/4 of the bag. Turn bag right side out.Bag Lining
10) Take 1 piece of liner f.
and add a pocket (if desired) then stitch 2 pieces of liner f.
, right sides together, on 3 sides as above, starting 1" from top and ending 1" from top on other side.Put It All Together
11) Place inside out liner bag f.
into zippered pleather bag bottom f.
Fit raw edges of lined bag into hemmed handle opening as shown. Be sure to place the functioning side of the snap at the liner side of the bag. Pin the layers securely together, sewing over the bottom of handle hem stitch. Do this for each side of bag. Strap
12) Mark rivet placement at either side of bag, approx 2" below seam where handle top attaches body of bag. Install rivet as rivet instructions state, 1 rivet going through all 4 layers of fabric on either side of bag.
13) Fold pleather g.
lengthwise, in half, right sides together. Seam along long raw edge. Turn fabric tube inside out....still got those chopsticks? Pin seam in center, flat, as shown. Install rivets, as directed, along seam, 4" apart, the length of the strap. Seam both long sides, 1/4" seam allowance. Turn raw edges of strap under and seam. Place rivet at each end. Install large lobster claw, attaching it to strap through riveted ends. Attach strap to bag, hooking lobster claws through rivet openings in bag sides.
14) TAKE A PICTURE, POST A PICTURE! WEAR PROUDLY! If just one person makes this, the time it took to make the tutorial will have been worth it.