I started this quilt in August of last year. I was in line at the local craft store and just started flipping through a quilt magazine. This pattern caught my eye. I picked out colors that would compliment my bedroom. The flowers on the border fabric are Magnolias (the state flower of MS, which is where my husand and I are from.)
I call this one my "Quilt of a Thousand Mistakes." lol Man, did I do tons of things wrong on this one. The pieces didn't go together just right. I didn't square off each block. The rows came out funky. The borders didn't lay in right. I thought I could hide most of the problems when I sewed everything together, but as you all know, that doesn't really work. After getting the top sewn together, I even realized that I had mixed up the color order on the red/maroon blocks. By that point, I was in a pretty bad mood and my husband was begging me not to set fire to the quilt....lol
The magazine called it "Somerset" and also said that it this pattern is based on the traditional Independence Square block.
After I got started on this one, the quilting bug bit me and I put this one to the side and started working on other quilts to give as Christmas presents to my several family members. I wasn't in as much as a rush with this quilt, because it's for my bed. I told my husband that I would have it ready before the end of winter and even though the snow is gone, I am still technically ahead of schedule. Winter doesn't end for a few more days.
Oh, and to top it all off, I shrunk it more than I had hoped in the dryer.
Here's a pic of the whole quilt.
And here is a close up of the bottom left corner. I freestyled the loopy quilting design in the lighter border. I figured that I had already done so many things incorrectly on this quilt that trying my hand at that couldn't be any worse.
We'll just call this one my "Learning Quilt." My husband just said to call it "Well Overdue." lol
I hope ya'll like it and thanks for looking.