I loved Pretty Little Rainbow
's Tudor Rose Bag http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=359911.0
and felt that I needed to try it out. I didn't know if it would work, but I decided to make it into a hat as well.
I was so positive about how I was going; cut out the flowers, fused the batting and assembled the flower. Then I realised I had no idea what I was doing.
To make it more simple I only made one side with the rose (It also saved A LOT of fabric).
I also made simple straps and the button instead of zip (I was originally going to do the clasp but I didn't have access to one)
I broke a needle on my machine, and then hand sewing broke two more needles.
Used Canadian smocking as the pattern suggests. I've never smocked before so it was a lot of fun learning.
* I've fixed the scrunched up section on the right*
The bag is actually quite small, so if I try this again (which I'll probably do soon) I'm definitely enlarging it.
And the hat (or headband).
I found a tutorial for diamond smocking, which I kept messing up so I finally located "honey comb" smocking directions and after a few hours of trying and unpicking I successfully created the middle of the flower.
I initially was going to make the hat with both the large and small petals, but decided to stick to the small only. I'll probably play around with a bigger one later. I guess I'll have to have interfacing or stiffen the material for that.
I had a blast making this