***UPDATED*** Rough patterns now on page 6. Not pretty, but it's a start.http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=65392.msg2202575#msg2202575
I actually completed this project back in spring, but I wasn't a member of Craftster until recently. I'm still pretty proud of the project, noticed that there are several tNBC fans lurking about, and decided to post it.
I designed the quilt from scratch for friends who were having their first child before I even knew what gender they were expecting.
First, the Jack Side:
It's often reported that babies love black and white, so it's really a good color scheme for them. Most of the fabrics were purchased around Halloween, like the dancing skeletons, Boo!s, and the glow-in-the-dark eyeballs. I wanted the quilt to be in stripes with the wide parts being white patterns on predominantly black backgrounds and spaced apart with white-on-white stripes. I thought the crooked zigzags would best convey a Jack sort of feel, and I added his shirt-breast, lapels, and bat-tie. It's hard to tell, but the third black fabric from the left (or, bottom) has little white cat faces on it. The third fabric from the right (top) has chalkboard letters on it--both parents are creative writers. The center fabric just happened to remind me the most of Jack's striping from what I could find at the time. Everything is pieced, even though it probably would have been easier to do the bat as an applique. (Hindsight.) The bat's eyes and the button are embroidered on.
Then we have the Sally side:
Sally's side had to be a crazy quilt. I stuck with basic pink, blue, and yellow and tried to match as many fabrics from her dress as I could, though I certainly had to make compromises to keep things unified and baby-bright. The pattern repeats once on a diagonal, much like a playing card. Many of the designs and shapes in the quilt are taken directly from the dress, while I eventually ran out and had to make up similar parts in the middle, with one blue shape in the center resembling the hill. There were originally 45 different shapes and 89 separate pieces to her side, until I realized I couldn't do the zigzag "sleeve" pieces without cutting them into multiple parts--it was tough to try to match the print on that. (Jack's side has more pieces because I pieced the bat and all the little parts between the wings.) Because the pieces were all so unique and specifically shaped to each other, I had to trace each piece individually without seam allowances added, then pin them together with the pins matched up on the seams. After it was all sewn together, I hand-embroidered black stitch marks between all the fabrics and blue stitches on the few pieces that were supposed to represent her skin in the bodice of the dress. (Since the quilt is sideways, look at the lower left and upper right corners to see it.) You can also catch a glimpse of my cat Pandora along the top edge of this picture--she demanded to be a part of every step of this project to the point of crazy-making.
Anyhow, thought some people might enjoy this.
UPDATE: I'm going to scan in the 8"X11" pages I started with and blew up once I figure out where I stashed them. Anyone ambitious enough will be able to blow the pattern up five times to get the same effect that I did. Then I'm going to figure out how to scan and zip all of the full-size pattern pieces together if I can so they can be downloaded as such. I'll include more tutorial like directions when I find everything I need and get it together.
*Edited to fix broken picture links. I still can't locate my pattern.