One year my boss got an enormous fir wreath to display. He didn't want it, so I took it home and put it on the side of the house.
After the holidays were over, I opined to the husband that the frame for that wreath was great,but that unwinding all the wire that held the greenery to it was too much trouble. He appeared in the doorway about twenty minutes later, frame in hand. He had taken the wreath to the middle of the driveway and set it afire. Snipping the wire off was easy.
The frame with fake greens decorated our house for several years. Then I took the greens off and built a pine cone wreath on the frame. I donated it to the local animal shelter's Chinese Auction. My mother won it, offered it for display in her church. After the holiday, the church raffled it off. Everybody wins.
Six years old are really too young to have fine motor skills of that level, I think.
Although, on a Scouting note, I think we used dish cloths to make bags for our camp dishes, with the thought that once rinsed, our dishes were put into the bags and given a few good swings to dry the dishes.
Purchase Rowenta at your own risk. About half the people I know who have were deeply disappointed, myself included. The burst of steam worked only for a few weeks, and the iron leaked to the point of being unusable in a year. Every single iron I've ever had was superior to Rowenta, even the cheap ones.
For about the same price as a Rowenta, you can get a gravity feed steam iron. They last a long time, are made to be on for hours at a time, and produce tons of steam.
There is a product called Thinsulate. It is denser than batting, and made to hold its shape. It could be used as an interlining.
Another option would be to make a button in or zip in lining of tightly woven wool covered with lining fabric. You'd want lining fabric against your clothing side so the coat slides on and off well. Remember the buttons near the hem of the sleeves so the sleeves stay in place.
I would start by making a cage out of boning shaped like "Cinderella's pumpkin", wider than it is tall. a horizontal ring at the top and bottom, and longitudinal ribs going up and down to connect them. The two horizontal rings need to be connected by a cylinder of fabric that fits around your body. That will keep the sides bowed out.
Having made costumes before, I'd be concerned that any stuffing you try to poof out the costume would not hold the desired shape and just sag under its own weight.
I went to a demonstration once and felt ripped off.
First, it was marketed as a fitting seminar. No mention of a sales pitch in the ad.
Second, the presenter made up a pattern for a vest, which fit okay, I guess, except it was too long for the short woman it was made for. No problem, said presenter, she'd just need to shorten the pattern at the waist, and apply the same alteration on every pattern she used from Lutterloh. Well, she could do that with a pattern she purchased, I think. She wouldn't have to spend time drawing it out.
Third, the updated patterns were rather expensive. I think at the time they were $60 a season 25 years ago. I sewed more then than I do now, but I never spent $60 in four months for patterns. They go on sale fairly often.
There are few facings, no instructions for constructing the garment.
All that being said, I have one that my Mom found at a yard sale. copyright MCMLXXXI translates into 1981, DH says. The Dynasty-esque sleeves and ruffles on some of the dresses would confirm this. There are lots of dirndl skirts, pants gathered into cuffs at the hem, and a lot of jackets and coats. It must have been the fall edition.
It even has the tape measure, which is just a metric tape measure with a specially marked piece of plastic stapled to one end.