Just in time for spring, I have finally finished a heavy wool sweater!
Well, almost finished that is--I still need to add a zipper or some hooks and eyes, but I wasn't going to let that stand in the way of wearing it today. After knitting one sweater, twelve scarves, and five hats as Christmas gifts for other people, I've waited a long damn time for a sweater of my very own. I have to get in at least a couple of wearings before the summer heat wave begins!
The pattern is Samus from the Fall 2005 issue of Knitty. Thanks to unexpected interruptions from out-of-town guests and overwhelming work deadlines, it took me about two months to make. I used the recommended size 8 needles and the recommended yarn, Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted in the color Orchid Thistle. At first I wanted something more in the periwinkle range, but my LYS didn't have it in stock the night I was ready to cast on, so I went for the pink instead. I admit to suffering a slight attack of buyer's remorse the first time I saw it the yarn in broad daylight--it was a bit brighter than I'd expected--but I'm glad I bit the bullet and soldiered onward anyway. I've gotten used to it over the last two months, and now think it's exactly what my wardrobe needed. The yarn itself is a little scratchy on my forearms, but otherwise fine. It also sheds a bit at first, but I've used it before and expected it.
I followed the pattern almost exactly. The only modification I made was to add some waist shaping--just simple paired decreases and increases at the sides (ssk/k2tog every four rows a total of three times, followed six rows later by paired m1 increases in the same pattern). I'm glad I did this--although they looked a bit wonky at first (as did the seaming), they looked fine after blocking. And it kept the sweater from being too boxy, which was my only complaint with the original.
I love the celtic braid cable along the hem and cuffs. It's already gotten plenty of compliments. The pattern writer mentioned that it was from Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge
, which I just might pick up. Other knitters will probably be able to pick out the spot where I made a mistake, but since I mirrored that mistake at the opposite end of the cabled band, I managed to make it look like I did it on purpose. Now it's a "design feature."