My boyfriend works at a Regal Cinemas and they're supposed to do Project Pictures, where they make the opening weekend of a big movie an event with prizes, activities, etc. and then they're supposed to present it to the corporate office in a binder that highlights everything they did. His boss told him that corporate doesn't really care what kinds of things you do for the opening and that the winner is usually the one that sends them the nicest presentation. So he asked if I could embroider them a binder cover with a lion face on it. Being the nice girlfriend that I am I said yes without really thinking about the amount of work that would go into it.
Now, I am by no means a sewer and I don't know what I was thinking, but I guess I thought they'd just give me a piece of fabric to embroider on, but oh no! I had to make it myself! I somehow managed and this is what I came up with:
Here's how I did it:
I started by finding pictures online and turning them into a pattern that was slightly bigger than an 8.5"x11" piece of paper when all placed together (I ironed it on as 3 separate patterns, the lion, Narnia letters, and Prince Caspian letters).
Then I cut my piece of cotton fabric a little bigger than the binder to allow for selvage (is that the right word? Basically I mean to allow for the space needed to fold the edges over to get a nice, clean edge). I sewed the 2 top edges, laid the binder down on the fabric, folded the side edges over for the selvage (even if that isn't the right word I'm going to continue using it since I explained what I mean above), then folded the sides over the binder and pinned them in place so that it would be tight when the binder was closed and so I'd have 2 even pieces showing when you open the binder up. I sewed those pieces, folded the whole thing in half, ironed on my patterns, and then embroidered the whole thing.
When I was done embroidering I put the cover back on the binder only to discover 2 things: 1) I hadn't made it tight enough around the binder, and 2) the stupid picture was off center because I didn't allow for the size of that side piece of the binder, I just folded my fabric in half and then ironed my picture on. I would've been fine with it being a little loose around the binder, but I couldn't handle the picture not being centered. So, I ripped out my sewing and did it over again. Now it fits really well, tight when closed, a little loose when opened, and the picture is more centered on the cover (it's still slightly off but at this point I could really care less). The 2 pieces that show when you open the binder are no longer even, but I can live with that a lot more than a really off center cover pic.
Now that I'm done with it the whole thing seems really simple, but I'm incredibly proud of myself for actually sewing something! I mean, I've done a few bag linings, but that's just essentially sewing up 3 sides of a rectangle so it's no big deal. With this I actually had to worry about my sewing being seen so I had to make it extra nice.
I'd also like to talk about the embroidery for a sec since I am posting this in the Needlework section!
I didn't have much time to make this thing so I just used back stitch for everything except the satin stitching in the Narnia letters (oh, and a few little french knots). I like the way it came out, but I really wish I'd had the time to do the lion in either stem or chain stitch, or a combination of both. Oh well. Okay, we've come to the end of the longest post ever!
Thanks for checking this out!