After reading the tutorials on making a weeping angel out of a barbie doll I decided to have a go and make one too for a Christmas present.
I made the gown out of air dry clay which is just horrid to deal with, especially in the Aussie summer and as an absolute beginner. Most of the detailing I did with my thumb nail. The hair and wings were made out of polymer clay. The doll was an abandoned barbie whose arms were in very strange positions. The cone was just an old cereal packet, I looked at the waterbottles as said in the tutorial but the only ones here would have made it look strange.
Here is a picture of it all done and ready to paint:
I painted her battleship grey that I got from bunnings. I looked for the stone effect but they don't have it here. I learned a few things painting it.
You can't spray paint polymer clay nor Barbie heads. You can spray paint the rest of the doll they just make the heads out of a different plastic I guess. I also didn't know about primer as it's my first time. I figured this out when it was 41 degrees and the paint wasn't drying.
To fix the wings and hair I painted on PVA glue onto the them, this is supposed to be a bad idea as the clay breaks down but it's not a heirloom its a silly gift so I did it anyway. It worked well.
The barbie head was a bit trickier. I ended up removing all the wet paint and starting again. I painted the head with PVA glue to see if that would fix the problem and it did. I then layered paint with the glue and painted the rest of the angel for good measure.
Here is the finished angel:
Thanks for looking!