*note: this is the same exact post as in the "general" category, because i didnt realize until after i posted that i could have put it in reconstructed. -_-; sorry!*
i had come down with a cold and was too much of a bum to go to school. so, since i had a whole free day to do nothing, i took this chance to craft like theres no tomorrow. and on that day of crafting, i came upon an old suit jacket of my dads in an old bag of throw-aways. i tried it on, hoping it just might fit me, but to my disappointment it was as flattering as a trashbag. i couldnt ignore the call of crafting, so i took out my scissors and turned on my sewing machine and got to work.
i have very poor sewing craftsmanship, so i have to warn you that there are many MANY flaws *sigh*, and i have many regrets after completing this jacket. like the quality of the collar (i just reattached the original one, but did it rather poorly), the should-have-been seam allowances for piping the front flaps, and the list goes on forever.
anyway, what i did with this is i took the lining out, took the jacket apart, and drew out a pattern on the various jacket parts with my own measurements. i put in piping i made myself (without piping cord.. i twisted two pieces of yarn together. ^^; at least i put to use my old yarn remnants. it came out okay i think) and i also made a split in the back and added a nice big bow, just to make it unique. i tried to make the tops of the sleeves bigger than the armholes to create a princess-sleeve effect.. but somehow in the process of making this jacket it was just the opposite. the sleeves were just an inch or so short of the armholes. -_-; so i just pleated the front flaps of the jacket to accomodate, because i was too lazy and short of material to do anything else. this resulted in a tight fit around my armpits, but it was all in the name of a nice new jacket.
so, after much explaining, here is the blazer in all its blazer-like glory.
this is a closeup of me wearing it.
this is the back with a bow! :] (and i realize that its lopsided, but i didnt know this until after i loaded the pictures. so imagine the bow perfectly positioned if you will.) im not sure if you can see it well in the picture, but the bows a burgundyish color.
the jacket lying down and resting.
details of my sad piping job on the pocket. (i wanted to keep the functionality of the original front pocket, so i piped through it and took care not to close the pocket up).
an interior only a mother could love. (i was planning on making a lining, but once again im too lazy. maybe one day in the far future... but until then ill have to live with it.)
and heres the full body picture.
i dont have a before picture of the actual jacket before the operation, but heres a picture of a jacket thats somewhat similar to it. just imagine it maybe five inches wider and seven inches longer with more padding in the shoulders. more box-like i suppose.
thanks muches for looking! please comment, criticize, or give any type of feedback!