Recipe:Lemon Pepper Roasted Cornish Game Hen- a.k.a Personal Pan Chicken
1 Cornish game hen for each hungry person.
1/2 lemon for each hen
Salt & pepper
Nantucket Off-Shore's "Mt. Olympus Rub" (it contains garlic, rosemary, lavender and other spices)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chicken broth (or the broth left over from the stewed vegetables)
Non-stick cooking spray.
***Dethaw hen in refrigerator 24hrs prior to cooking.***
(1) Clean hen under cool water and remove giblets. Pat dry with paper towels and place in a sprayed baking pan. Preheat oven to 350*.
(2) Mix 1tbsp of Mt. Olympus rub with 5tbsps of E.V.O.O. Rub the hen completely and don't forget the inside!
(3) Squeeze juice from lemon half over the top and inside of the bird. Shove remainder of the lemon half in orifice.
(4) Salt and Pepper as desired and place on the middle rack of the oven loosely covered with tin foil. Roast for 30mins. Occasionally ladle with chicken broth.
(5) Remove Foil, baste, and continue to roast for 15-20 minutes or until skin is golden brown and juices run clear.
Stewed Vegetables: Chop red potatoes and carrots. Boil over medium high heat. Drop in 2 chicken bullion cubes.
When bullion finishes dissolving check the potatoes and carrots for done-ness. The potatoes should be easily crushable with a spoon and the carrots should look swollen. Drop in some baby bok choy and cover until cooked through. Remove veggies with a slotted spoon and retain the broth for basting the hen.
Italian Toast- Slice Italian bread and spread with butter and crushed garlic. Sprinkle with dried basil and oregano and top with mozzarella cheese. Toast in oven until cheese melts.
Tomato Spread: finely chop 1 large tomato, add 1tbsp E.V.O.O., dried or fresh basil and oregano, salt and pepper to taste, and 1tsp of the broth.
Enjoy! My man loves this! Maybe it's the feeling of accomplishment he gets from devouring an entire mini-chicken, lol!