Before the chairs looked something like this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10670897 Except that the "leather" was cracked from years of sitting on my surfing Craftster My only issue was wondering how to recover these chairs until I realized the arms can come off! Duh.
Now they look like this.
All I did was:
1. Remove arms.
2. Wrap the seat bottom & seat back in old knits (t-shirts work) to protect from the cracked leather
3. Staple fabric (clearance Home Dec) to the seat bottom.
4. Pin fit the seat back only around the sides & top, (fabric inside out!) Leaving a few unpinned inches on the bottom, then remove it from seat back.
5. Trace around where I pinned, then trim seam allowance unpin & sew.
6. Staple the bottom closed - tucking in unfinished edges - trim as needed.
Instant gratification - about an hour each, which was perfect because I will be able to change them up whenever the mood hits me! Not too worried about a "professional look," I like it!