I am so overwhelmed with everyone's sweet suggestions and responses! There are so many good ideas. Here are a few that I've put together and conglomerated:
1. Husband and I believe we will go with the Candy Apple Red/White/Chrome or Silver scheme. True, turquoise will most definitely evoke a reaction from most everyone who sees it, but we both believe that that the afore mentioned color scheme will ring true with retro/modern and will look really nice for years to come.
2. I LOVE .. LOVE ... LOOOOVVVEEE the Sailor Jerry tattoo idea! We are going to seriously consider it. I am not sure if my husband can reproduce something like that freehand, so we will see about getting custom huge vinyl decals to put on it.
3. We have a friend who works on wiring and things of that sort, and has offered his time to check it out. Since the trailer is constructed of aluminum, we don't have to worry about exterior damage as far as leaks. The only serious damage I can really see is a bit of water damage to the inside wood paneling by the bed where the window has been broken for who-knows-how-long and the rain has gotten in.
4. I have posted pictures of the inside. It really needs some TLC on the inside, but I don't think anything serious. Previous poster mentioned gutting the entire thing and replacing storage with IKEA which is a great idea! The current storage solution is I believe very thin wood -- I don't think its pressed board because I'm assuming that moisture from all these years of that broken window would have really messed things up, but it is still in tact.
5. The floor right now is ugly, disgusting, brown carpeting. That is going very soon. I like previous poster's idea of the 12x12 sticky vinyl flooring. That would be very easy, likely cheap and fast. Easy to cut if needed. Idea
- let me know what you think - right now there are two beds. The bed on the left beside the broken window (at the back of the trailer) is bigger than the one on the right (at the front of the trailer). I had the idea of taking out the bed on the right and repurposing that space for something else. Don't know what though? Surely don't need two beds though. Its just hubby and I. No kids, don't plan on it for a while.
6. Dad has an automotive paint sprayer (for some reason ... we've never painted a car before .. but anyway...) So, he said he would buy the automotive paint kit for us. He said it would cost about $60 from Napa. He said about a couple of ounces of paint should do the whole thing. Husband and I are going to try to find some sort of strong chemical to get the original paint off down the aluminum. Anyone know what to use?
7. I LOVE neat kitschy curtains! When we get close to finishing, we will come up with something cool and retro. I like the idea of gingham, it would be really pretty. I have seen a lot of very nice prints to consider at the suggestion of other posters, which I very much appreciate. I will most likely splurge on nice fabric online for the curtains when the time comes for it.
8. I didn't realize until getting ready to post these pics how grungy it really looked on the outside. Haven't had the chance to try out the electricty and the lights, and I can really see how much work it really needs. We are prepared for some elbow grease though! I have a week off work end of September, so we are going to try to have it done to take for a camping trip in Myrtle Beach then! I hope it works out!!
The pictures in order are :: Left Side, Floor in front of door, counter/cabinets in front of door and part of right side bed, and finally the neat storage on the right side on top of the bed.