It's always interesting, brainstorming for a swap. That process you go through to figure out the PERFECT thing you want to make. It's in my top three favorite parts of swapping. For the recent HP Ornament swap, I was lucky enough to swap with both Abbeeroad and edelC. People who I have often gushed over their work and always looked forward to their contributions in swaps.
I had received their questionnaires and had been perusing their Pinterests. I have a notebook where I transcribe a lot of the information that might help me narrow down my ideas. I sketch things and circle and underline stuff. Any sketches I make or pictures I trace from elsewhere usually end up stuck in here. It's a visual reminder of all of my swaps and ongoing projects that I undertake.
I was scrolling through Abbeeroad's Pinterest for the thousandth time when the light bulb went off to somehow make a Burrow in a snowglobe. I don't know what came over me. I am NOT a clay person. And she wanted an ornament. Not a knick knack. *sigh* But it wouldn't leave my brain. So I had to make a snowglobe.
The first iteration went horribly wrong. Something on the house (I suspect the sealer) reacted with the water and I not only had cloudy water; but it started *growing* something. This was the original piece I made. After pulling it out of the jar I scrubbed it clean. I will probably clean it up some more later, paint it and make an ornament out of it for next year.
The final piece was made completely of clay (no paint). No matter what sort of glitter I used it clumped some. I used some glycerin to help the glitter stay suspended. I still don't know if I used too much or too little. I have more jars so maybe I will try out making some more later.
Other side view
Action shot front view!
I had a little harder time with figuring out what to do for edelC. I had a couple ideas; but nothing concrete. Until one afternoon when I was taking a walk and saw this guy.
He was showing off. Taking off from his perch, stretching his wings wide and doing circles in the sky before he landed on his perch again. It brought to mind the heart with wings that Edel mentioned in her questionnaire and I saw multiple times on her Pinterest. And this popped into my head. I grabbed a handful of images of a raven with their wings outspread, and used three to make this image. I stitched it in Ravenclaw blue to black wool felt, felted a heart and stitched an image of Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem to some felt and attached it to the heart. I am not Ravenclaw; but I really like how it turned out.
Before I came up with the two above ideas, I had the below idea after an afternoon of scrolling through Pinterest. I don't often repeat something; but I felt that this one was an exception to that rule. I might make one for myself as well. After Christmas of course.
I'm showing an image of one of the ornaments I sent; but they are slightly different due to being cut by hand from a basic recipe, stead of a pattern. The original image was a cartoon image of the Weasley's car that I used to base the ornament on. The tree, moon and background were cut out organically. Acrylic paint was used for the dirt around the tires.