A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

  Show Topics
Pages: [1]
1  Archive of Past Craftster Challenge Entries / CHALLENGE 45 ENTRIES / Dining room chairs for my first apartment on: December 04, 2009 05:00:13 PM
I am so excited to post this, it is my first challenge! (Lets hope the images come out right...)

I found four of these awful chairs at the local Goodwill for $4.49 each. The were not the prettiest chairs I had ever seen but I could tell they had potential. They had dried out cracking orange vinyl on the seats from the 70's and the varnish was chipped off of the wood. They were also missing screws all over the place and were covered with ancient gum on the bottom of the seats! These pictures do not do the "before" chairs justice!

This challenge was great because I just got my first apartment and badly needed a dining room set. I had picked up a table for a steal, but didn't have any chairs to go with it! I know several of the other entries are chairs as well, but this was a personal challenge to make something pretty on a tiny budget for my apartment as well. I manage to make these chairs for about $19.03!

Here is an opening shot for the thumbnail...


Here are the chairs before I ripped the orange vinyl off or sanded them down. Those steps took the longest, I wish I would have thought to take pics of those steps as well...


After I had them sanded, screws tightened, wood glued and removed the seats I primed them with the only stuff I had around which was this bright white KILZ


Finally, I ripped off the vinyl and replaced it with some awesome fabric from my stash and painted the frame with a couple coats of paint. I actually got the black paint for free a while ago with a promotion for a free pint of paint from Glidden (I sound like a commercial!). Here are the finished chairs in my first apartment! I painted them to match this craigslist table I found.
2  CLOTHING / Clothing: Discussion and Questions / How could I fix a knit cuff? on: January 11, 2008 12:46:26 PM
My boyfriend has a hoodie that he absolutely loves and wears all the time. The ribbed cuff is coming apart at the edge where it folds over and where it gets the most wear. Large holes have formed on both sleeves at the edge of the cuff. Anyways, I've patched his sweatshirt a couple of times and he thinks that I should be doing it again! I would love to heal his beloved sweatshirt but I have no idea how. I don't want the cuff's to lose their stretch, which they will if I just stitch them up. Does anyone have any ideas? I've seen knit interfacings before that are stretchy but as far as I know they don't make any that is double sided...

Thanks so much for any comments. I'm desperate!
3  QUILTING / Quilting: Completed Projects / Duck Hunt Quilt on: August 25, 2006 10:31:19 AM
I decided to make this quilt as a gift about eight days before the recipiants birthday. It is the dog that laughs at you when you miss the ducks in the much celebrated game Duck Hunt. This was my first quilt and it was a bit of a pain considering the time limit and lack of experiance. It was done in 1.5" squares and is about the size of a twin bed comforter. I used the link another poster had up for a website that had video game characters drawn out on grid paper. It came together fast and i think it turned out pretty well. Classic nintendo pixels are perfect for quilts. Right now I just have the top done, but i was really excited to post it. Hopefully i can get more pictures up when i have a finished product. It is going to be backed and binded in solid black and i am going to stitch in the ditch for my quilting. I couldn't get any really good angles so excuse the edge of the coffee table and the wrinkles in the quilt. The flash made some of the fabric seem inconsistant colors but i think its just how the light hit it.



4  CLOTHING / Clothing: Completed Projects: Reconstructed / Easy Band T Makeover on: August 08, 2005 07:21:17 PM
So (My first post besides replies!) I just took a big band tee and resized it, chopped of the bottom and put it on the top so it was a tube top thing added camo trim and straps and flipped the sleeves so the cuff half were on my shoulders and the wider shoulder part was hanging. Originally it was without the flutter sleeve, just a tank ya know, but my arms felt more comfortable covered. i like the way it turned out. Its my first shirt recon.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/the_futile/SATee2.jpg
Pages: [1]


FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search



your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Regan Hoffman Talks About I Have Something to Tell You
Make Time Work For You with Philip Zimbardo
Spike Lee Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Eric Bogosian Talks About Perforated Heart
Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton Wish They Had This Talent
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping




Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2014, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.