I am so excited to post this, it is my first challenge! (Lets hope the images come out right...)
I found four of these awful chairs at the local Goodwill for $4.49 each. The were not the prettiest chairs I had ever seen but I could tell they had potential. They had dried out cracking orange vinyl on the seats from the 70's and the varnish was chipped off of the wood. They were also missing screws all over the place and were covered with ancient gum on the bottom of the seats! These pictures do not do the "before" chairs justice!
This challenge was great because I just got my first apartment and badly needed a dining room set. I had picked up a table for a steal, but didn't have any chairs to go with it! I know several of the other entries are chairs as well, but this was a personal challenge to make something pretty on a tiny budget for my apartment as well. I manage to make these chairs for about $19.03!
Here is an opening shot for the thumbnail...
Here are the chairs before I ripped the orange vinyl off or sanded them down. Those steps took the longest, I wish I would have thought to take pics of those steps as well...
After I had them sanded, screws tightened, wood glued and removed the seats I primed them with the only stuff I had around which was this bright white KILZ
Finally, I ripped off the vinyl and replaced it with some awesome fabric from my stash and painted the frame with a couple coats of paint. I actually got the black paint for free a while ago with a promotion for a free pint of paint from Glidden (I sound like a commercial!). Here are the finished chairs in my first apartment! I painted them to match this craigslist table I found.