here are the fantastic items i received from teddybearbones! thank you!
awesome cadet hat in soft olive green corduroy with a little beaded leaf on the front,
cool duct tape cuff bracelets with paint, beading, and lace-trimmed edges,
and two little beaded felt tree badges that i can pin or sew anywhere i want!
i sent teddybearbones a sewn and silkscreened pillow/cushion cover with a weeping willow printed on it, an envelope of tree ephemera, and sepia-toned photographs of trees i took. i'm glad you enjoyed everything, rae!
I received my fantastic wristwarmers from redpopsicles today! They're green and fuzzy, and most importantly WARM (for those cold desert nights here in Southern California!). I've already gotten so many compliments on them. Thank you!
the ave (university avenue) right by UW has some good stores. buffalo exchange is also there, which has newer, trendy things for much cheaper. value village in ballard is always a staple for me, but it would take awhile to get there by bus...
there's a rather small one on pine on capitol hill (near the honeyhole sandwich place) that has some cool stuff, and nancy's sewing basket on queen anne has some good stuff. joann's is in ballard, too.
Well, I didn't take pictures during "construction," but I can describe what I did... it was a really basic project, so even if I don't describe it well, you should be able to figure it out -- it's not lined or anything, and the fabric I used is very forgiving (it doesn't need hemming for edges to look clean).
The felt fabric is actually a fake leather with a felt backing, so it holds its shape well and definitely won't rip. I took the leathery felt and drew an owl shape on the leather side and followed it with the sewing machine. (I'm new to using the sewing machine, so it was sort of tricky...) This way, I could follow a pattern, but it showed up nicely on the other side, the side that I wanted to display. I then attached the owl to the red fabric by sewing random zig-zagging lines across the owl. After that, I sewed the ribbons on with the sewing machine, but then hand-sewed the sequins because I didn't know what I wanted exactly so I wanted a bit more control.
I then took two pieces of the leather/felt and sewed them together with the felt sides facing each other (meaning the owl was hidden at the time of sewing) -- after sewing, the pouch was flipped inside-out so the seams were clean. Make sure to use one leather piece that is longer than the other, the extra length being how long you want the flap to be. I then added "embellishments" with random lines of thread across the flap. The button was sewn on (using a button that matched the thread color) and a button hole was cut in the flap -- if you use the same type of fabric, you will notice that you don't have to hem up the button hole because the fuzziness cleans everything up and the leathery side keeps anything from ripping. I also cut a hole in the top of the case for the camera strap to fit through.
Phew. I hope that's okay! Feel free to ask other questions!
I got a new camera for X-mas, so I just had to make something to carry it in. I was playing around with embroidering an owl on some felt and decided to put it on a camera case. The flash makes it look a little funny... and it's not actually lopsided - that's just from the angle at which the picture was taken. The embroidery isn't actually all wonky like it looks in the picture either...
I made this cuff for a swap, but I don't want to say who it's for so my partner is surprised! I was just too excited so I had to post. It's lined with a shimmery pink fabric on the other side, and it has a velcro closure. Oh, and the base isn't just made with that chartreuse grosgrain - it's all on army green suiting fabric.
This is my third finished project using an old sewing machine I recently taught myself how to use. It is made of a lightweight blackish-green tweed plaid (i think it is suiting fabric) and is lined with an army green fabric of the same type. It is "embellished" (I love that word!) with chartreuse grosgrain ribbon, a vintage-y button, and more of the same army green fabric. It also has a velcro closure. Because I'm new to sewing, I thought I would give the clutch a slighly "distressed" look so it wouldn't have to be so polished... cheating, I know - but I think it actually turned out pretty well. I frayed the army green fabric a bit and did some unpolished stitching to attach details to the clutch. Tell me what you think!