This is my first time tackling an altered shrine swap. I thought I'd give it a try after doing some substantial research (and some how ending up with a whole pinterest board dedicated to shrines). I actually ended up making my partner (Wulf) three smaller shrines and I'd like to share one of the three with you here (I will post the other two later).
I kind of went "off road" with this one and based it more on a couple of his boards rather than any one theme he gave in his questionnaire. I liked the concept of a book of shadows and magic so I decided to revamp a lonely Altoids tin into a 3-d layered tarot card and fit it inside a book to help disguise it. I can never do anything the "easy" way - the whole book is made from scratch.
I started by making the inside of the tin first. I chose the "Wheel of Fortune" tarot card because I liked the meaning of the card and I also enjoyed the illustration I found to use as a reference (please excuse the poor process photos!):
so I drew, painted, varnished and hand cut each little piece for my tin. Here are some of the tiny pieces:
Once everything was cut out, I started to layer them into the tin by rolling up very thin strips of paper to use as "pegs" to give my card the dimension I wanted:
Once the inside was completed, I started to work on the outside. I had some thin cardboard stashed and used that to cut out the cover of the book, taking care to score the "bind" for maximum flexibility when opening and closing the book. Then I covered the book with some stashed fabric I had been saving, using hot glue to secure the inside edges and corners. I loved the slight sheen this fabric gave and the beautiful tree illustration printed all over. After securing the fabric around the cardboard, I then added a deep navy card stock to cover the inside of the front and back to give the book a "finished" appearance and to cover any frayed fabric edges. Once that was finished, I glued a small stack of brown kraft paper (the kind that is sent inside packages as "filler") in the front to cushion the tin and help fit it into the binding perfectly.
Then came the tedious part of trimming another set of kraft paper down to fit around the tin for the bottom. I wanted the tin to look nestled into the book.
I ended up trimming down a couple sets to get the height that I wanted on the bottom but I eventually got there! After that, I added a fuzzy textured ribbon around the outside to be used as the "closure". to finish the look off, I added a wax seal with the letter "W" to represent Wulf's name. I've always thought wax seals look ancient and traditional and thought it would look nice and I was in luck because I had a whole heap of silver sticks leftover from doing my wedding invitations a few years ago.
So I took a regular rubber stamp letter and attached it to a clear stamp block (you can get both at michaels usually) and started playing with hot wax until I got my desired look:
I attached it to the front of the book along with a tiny branch I had created from wire and nail polish. I thought it would look nice and add a little bit of color as well. (plus it linked nicely with the other two shrines where I used the same nail polish flower technique in the same colors).
After the outside was complete, I finished off the lid of the tin by adding some fun lacy looking material I had stashed away in a deep red - it sort of looked gyspy-ish and thought it worked well with the tarot card on the other side. I then added another wax seal in the center in the letter "H" to represent Wulf's last name. The finishing touch was a little "book mark" with a swirly bead and star at the end.
Here are some nicer quality photos of the finished product:
In the end, I had a lot of fun making shrines and I may consider another go if the swap comes around again
Thanks for looking!!