A good friend of mine who lives in Germany had her first baby a couple of weeks ago. I already had a selection of fabrics pulled to make him a quilt, so the email announcing his birth was a good kick up the bum to get cracking!
My friend likes blue and studied chemistry and her husband is an engineer, so I went for as much of a science theme as I could manage. These are two of my favourite prints in the quilt:
It's backed with a snazzy chevron print; hopefully it'll be a while before he's old enough to mind that it's got pink in it!
It was an interesting quilt to assemble since I've never done such a random placement before. To help me, I drew a guideline layout on graph paper first before cutting anything and then laid it out on the floor and juggled bits until I was happy (one day.... one day I *will* have a design wall!). Because of the layout there were some partial seams, but I managed to avoid piecing myself into a corner thank goodness.
(Why yes, the carpet *is* hideous! Hopefully we'll be leaving it far behind in a week's time...)
I wanted to teach myself how to do paper piecing and I'd seen an image of an origami crane that I really liked, so I decided to turn a modified version into a pattern. To my surprise, it actually worked! (Albeit with quite a lot of swearing and unpicking because I kept lining things up wrong, lol!) As I'm on a bit of a cushion/small project kick right now, I decided to turn it into a cushion for myself. The back is a simple envelope affair with some nice chunky wood buttons I got from a local haberdashery.
I did matchstick quilting on the background around the crane and then just picked out some of the postcard shapes on the fabric in the corners:
It lives on my bed and is great for when I want to sit up and read a book!
If anyone is interested, I will see if I can make the pattern available once I've figured out how to get all the separate pdfs into one file! I've also done a smaller version that finishes at 8" (the one above finishes at 12"). No one is interested. Oh well.
Another finished thing! What is the world coming to?
Will do a proper thread for it when I've managed to buy it a cushion. There weren't any in the shop on Friday. :/ Oh, and fair warning - if I ever manage to join a block swap, it may very well be this crane image I'll be requesting!
This is the third cushion I made recently ( the first two are here) as a Christmas present for my cousin's little girl. She loves a bit of Frozen, so I did an applique of Elsa doing her thing, with some swirly bits that I doodled in Inkscape.
As with the other two cushions, I made the main panel 16" finished and then added 2" borders for a total finished size of 20". All the fabric on the front is sparkly in some way, although it's really hard to tell! I used variegated teal thread to hold Elsa in place and frosty metallic thread around the swirls.
The quilting of this was harder because I didn't want to just do an all-over pattern. I started by quilting around Elsa and the swirls in matching thread, adding extra quilted swirls wherever looked good at the time, then built up the ground with wavy lines of light blue rayon. The area around Elsa had me stumped for a bit because it needed quilting but I didn't want to swamp the magic-y swirls, but in trying a few ideas and suggestions I ended up with diagonal, wavy swirl shapes, which seemed the best choice. (Once I got over the fact that my white rayon was mysteriously STUPIDLY HARD to quilt with, unlike the blue stuff. )
And here she is all finished and ready to grace a young lady's bed:
I made cushions for my cousin's three kids as a Christmas present. Here are the ones I made for the two boys, who are big Minecraft fans. The availability of a decent variety of solids completely sucks where I live, so I used Bali Pop strips to get the range of colours, though I admit it worked a lot better for the Creeper than it did for the Blaze.
To make them a decent size, I added a 2" border all around (brings the finished size to 20" square), and for the quilting I did a sort of viney thing on the Creeper and flames on the Blaze.
I'm quite pleased with the backs, too, and am almost sad they won't be seen much, lol!
And finally here are the finished items:
The backs are a simple envelope+buttons affair:
I got lucky at my favourite haberdashery stall when I found they had some nice big buttons that came in just the colours I wanted to go with the three cushions.
I need to stop making tops I have no current capacity to quilt! :p This is a recent effort; I had a couple of 'blah' days when all I was fit for was mindlessly cutting lots of squares (and then mindlessly piecing them...).
It needs a border, I think, and I already have my eye on a great possibility for the backing.
My niece turned one yesterday. I made her six alphabet/number blocks as a present.
I used cotton patchwork fabrics from my stash and ordered six 5" foam cubes from an online supplier (I was impressed - the foam felt nice and was cut really neatly and accurately.) Letters and numbers were made from left-over scraps and fused onto 5.5" squares with bondaweb, then secured with machined satin stitch all the way round in three coordinating colours of thread, then I used assorted decorative stitches on my sewing machine to decorate around each letter or number - no face has the same design on it. Assembling the blocks was quite easy (just had to remember to start and stop 1/4" in from the edges), and the last edges were finished by hand.