Made this coat using a free online pattern.
Came together quite quickly, ws hoping to get it done within a week, only working of an evening in front of the tv, it took nine days but there were a couple of days when I didn't do any. The body is made in one piece from the top down and then the sleeves are crocheted onto the armholes. There is no sewing involved, which I loved.
I wore it to a wedding over a long black dress and also casually over jeans. The only thing I'd change is the length, the pattern warned it would drop when worn. Next time I will stop when it's 3 rows shorter than my measurement. It dropped so much that it ended up being ankle length, I was after 3/4 length.
The recommended yarn is not available here, online searches reccommended 10 ply but even that is really difficult to find here in Acrylic. I didn't want to spend a lot on 10ply wool until after trialling the pattern in cheaper acrylic. At a local yarn shop I was told that the tension guide meant 12 ply was used but every photo I saw the crochet was finer than 12 and even 10 ply - learned that by using 2 strands of 5ply. When I tried a standard 8 ply I found it perfect and settled on using Magnum Soft 8ply http://www.auspinners.com.au/products/browse-by-brand/panda/magnum-soft-8ply/default.aspx
in Maroon - which is more purple than maroon. Used 5.5 mm hook.
As you can see in the picture I am not a small size, my measurements were for the XL but after a first fitting of the bodice I decided to go with Large instead.
Intend making this again, definitely going to try in cotton for Summer. It actually looks good when made without the sleeves too. http://www.caron.com/projects/ss/ss_duster.html