Based of the look and feel of the Fraction/Aja/Hollingsworth Hawkeye comic, I made a Kate Bishop cosplay. It's all crochet. The Converse were made from the pattern, and I winged the shooting glove and dress. The bullseyes were made separately and sewn on, as were the stripes. The bullseye at my waist is a pocket, so I'll have a place to stash cards/money when I'm on the con floor.
Made with Cascade Luna, which is a very nice cotton yarn, so it should breathe at least a little. And in character posing because why not.
Yes, yes, it's very important to save the world, but coffee is also important.
I was trying to just make a raglan with intentionally bad color change (changing color just wherever the previous yarn ran out), but the nature of the yarn (Cascade Fixation) gave the edging a ruffle I didn't plan for (the yarn has a very elastic stretch to it), but I love it a whole lot now that it's done. It's comfortable and a perfect weight for the current weather conditions.
The Discowing Nightwing costume is probably one of my favorites in all of comics. It is so ridiculous, and so I just had to make it more ridiculous with a poofy skirt and an adorable little handbag. This is the first time I've had the full costume together, so the poses aren't great, but I'm really proud of the whole thing. Tip to toe, it's all crochet save the buttons on the shoes and the ribbon on the mask.
And, of course, the look that started it all:
I'll be rolling this out at ECCC this coming weekend, and I can't wait.
The jacket is crochet except for the zipper, which I sewed by hand. The shoes I designed on Converse's website. I actually crocheted pants to go along with the jacket, but I tossed on my dark wash jeans to wear the whole get-up to work, and I think I like them better. There is a lucky hat still in the works, but I am super proud of the jacket, so I wanted to get it up now.
Jacket was worked raglan-style (top down). Pockets were added on top of red trim. The star is actually four pieces using square stitch that were then sewn into place.
I never would have thought a crocheted costume could look this cool
It was really fun to piece together. This is actually the second one I did. The first was Big Barda, which was way more intense, but I'm glad I went big on my first one because it gave me more confidence for this one:
I posted this on the crochet board a couple of weeks back because I never thought to check the Clothing board for a costume sub-board. But anyway, this is my Power Girl cosplay. It's all crochet save the wig I still need to buy. The gauntlets and boots came from patterns, but I winged the dress, cape, and belt. It's all basic crochet stitches save the cape cord, where I used a stitch called lobster stitch. I used fabric stiffener on the boots to keep them upright. It's gonna get debuted at Emerald City Comic Con in March along with a couple of others I'm still working on.
I made a Big Barda cosplay for Rose City Comic Con this past weekend, and it came out great! I got a lot of compliments, and I only sweat moderately. (Note to self, it doesn't matter how much you like the blue yarn for the legs and torso, worsted weight is not con-friendly).
With the exception of the hexagons, I didn't use any patterns.
Legs, torso, and gauntlets are crocodile stitch. The cape is triple crochet. The rest of it is half-double. The megarod (my totally not-phallic weapon) is single crochet with bubble stitch on the top and the buttons were stitched on separately.
Let me know if you have any questions! I actually got some in-progess shots for this one!
It was supposed to be a shawl, but then I figured out if I seamed two of the corners, I'd have sleeves. So, I did that (because lazy), and then I added the pink edging to give it some length and sewed on the button so it'd close. It's a perfect, lightweight bit of cuteness to help cheer up the gray days that will hit you up in the Pacific Northwest.