This is a skirt I made from some inexpensive white denim to wear to work. Its been cold and rainy so I haven't gotten to wear it yet, though. Its a straight front 4-panel skirt with two back slits, one on each side.
I made this from the Betsy Ross side-tie blouse pattern. I'm quite pleased with how it came out. The fabric has little tiny holes in it,rimmed by black.
I did NOT do the bottom gathers, because the blouse was fitting pretty slimly, and I didnt want to risk making it too small. I also shortened the tie some cause I was lazy and wanted to cut on the fold.
This is another vintage dress I made from the same pattern. This one came out perfect (except for a slight hitch when I had the fabric laid out to cut the pattern and my doggie piddled on it , but alls well that ends well) because I already knew how I needed to adjust the pattern
I did NOT make the belt - I spent far too much on it this week
I just completed the artful dodger swing jacket from the hotpatterns line (pics are in 'completed projects'). This was my first jacket, but the jacket seemed to have simple lines, so it seemed like an OK first pattern to try. Also, I was bad and didn't make a muslin as recommended. I did however read pattern reviews of other patterns from hotpatterns, and the biggest complaint was small armholes. This jacket had generous armholes so I figured I could just go ahead...
WELL, the end product turned out well, but it was not a smooth ride. Some pieces (side body gusset and front facing) were too short. not a little too short, but several inches too short. Also, the collar - it said cut two, but i'm pretty sure it should be cut 4, since you need a top AND a bottom to the collar (and thats what I ended up doing)
The directions were also very vague. I kind of gave up and ignored them. Illustrations would have been VERY helpful, especially as to how to attach the collar and how to attach the lining, both of which I just kind of winged.
Aside from the pattern, it was also a difficult jacket to make because I used faux lfur which slips and slides and is difficult to sew more than 2 layers at once. The single most helpful thing in working with the fur was to baste EVERYTHING. As in pin, baste, sew. Otherwise things slipped too much when machine sewing.
I do like the jacket, and will probably make it again in a less furry fabric, especially if I can figure out how to make it a little less swingy in the back.
This is a maraschino-cherry red, not orange-y like it looks in the photo! This is a pattern of my own design made from an ancient, much beloved JCrew cotton skirt. The skirt is made out a nice soft wool felt, which is great because I didn't need to zigzag any of the edges, and it was very easy to cut and work with! It also holds the structure very nicely. Red is one of my favorite winter colors, so i'm pretty excited about this skirt.
This is the Hotpatterns 'artful dodger' swingy jacket pattern. I found thisamazingly plush faux leopard fur for 10.00/yard and just couldn't pass it up... then I remembered seeing this pattern!
the back is QUITE swingy
The jacket isn't quite done - I still need to face the sleeves and connect the lining there, and get some kind of closure. The pattern calls for snapse with decorative buttons, but i think i might look for some big hook-n-eyes like my old vintage fur chubbies use.
This is my first jacket, my first jacket lining, and my first time working with faux fur, so I'm quite proud of myself at seeing it through. Hotpatterns directions are kind of vague (at least seemed so to me), so the lining is totally ad hoc'ed in. Instead of a lining pleat I sort of gathered it around the yoke. The lining is a champagne-colored crepe-back satin