I am very pleased to be able to present the first completed stocking of my current Research Project:
I am pretty in love with the red/white/black color combination, even though it was a lot more challenging to pick out coordinating fabrics at Joann than I expected. I think I'm ready to graduate to buying fabric at quilting stores . I had originally planned for some of the fabrics to have a slightly more Christmas-y vibe, but again, I ended up going with what I could find.
The first stocking I quilted using this pattern just had randomly crossing quilted lines on the stocking back, like in the pictures I saw on the tutorial, but I wasn't crazy about the effect. This time, I went with all parallel segments of various widths, and I liked it a lot better.
At first, I was going to use a pretty red and white snowflake fabric for the lining, but after seeing how much red was in the stocking exterior, I changed my mind and went for a black lining to break everything up.
I absolutely love how both the stark black color and the geometric pattern contrast with the exterior fabrics.
Friendsmas is two weeks from tomorrow, so I will need to complete at least 1 stocking a week until then! (I'd really like to get 3 more done total, but we'll see how it goes.)